We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recently returned...any questions?

manchester
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Recently returned...any questions?

Hi

I have recently returned from 2 weeks at the riu palace. If anyone has any questions I am happy to try to help.

I also did the Arenal/Monteverde overnight trip and Borinquen at Rincon de le Vieja through Thomson who use a great company called destination services so am also happy to answer any questions on these too.

Happy holidays everyone!

97 replies to this topic
manchester
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

Andrew if your renting a car you won't have any problems in eating at a number of places, even if your hotel is in an isolated location. In terms of the trips I did, I have posted lots of detailed information about them in this thread so it might be worth having a look back through it and let me know if you have any questions that I haven't already covered.

Hope you have a good trip!

southend
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

I had set on going to costa rica but reading that it is so hot and humid I fear I would not do well there. Any thoughts on this ? am I right , I was thinking of December but it still looks as hot then.

manchester
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

Yes it's hot and yes it's humid, there's no escaping that in the tropics. Not sure how bad it will be in December as I was there may/June. There's always places to go indoors to cool off and of course pools to cool off in too.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

Sure you can escape it. Just stick to the interior at higher elevations. You don't have to settle for a Thompson package. Just plan your own itinerary as most on this forum do.

southend
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

Thanks for replying.

southend
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

Thanks for replying

OCEAN ISLE BEACH
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

thinking of going here next year... couple of questions... any live music in lobby at night to dance to? is the beach swimmable? any trolleys to take you to the sister resort? if not,how far a walk to the sports bar? how far from the Liberia airport? is water safe to drink? anywhere to see restaurants available and menus? is palace adults only? thanks

manchester
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

Here’s the answers to your questions:

No there is not live music in the lobby to dance to but sometimes there is music (but no one dances, it’s more background music).

The beach is not swimmable...but the sea certainly is :-)

There aren’t trolleys to take you next door, it’s only a minute walk.

It’s about 40 minutes from Liberia airport.

The tap water is not recommended to be drank. The hotel provides ample bottled water.

The restaurants will be listed on their website and if you google the name of the hotel and a la carte menus, most menus can be found online.

The palace is not adults only but there aren’t many facilities for children and there were hardly any when we were there. I think there are more children at the Guanacaste.

Effingham, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
89. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

HI

I am traveling with 4 teenagers who I am paying for. Money is tight and really want to see the volcano. I would also like to experience the hot springs. However, I am paying for 5 people.... Any ideas on which tour is the best for the best money?

manchester
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Recently returned...any questions?

Probably easiet one from the Riu would be Rincon de la Vieja. It doesn’t look like a typical volcano (in fact it looks more like hills and fields) but there are several places there with hot springs. The more expsensive option would be Arenal which is about a 4 hour drive so would be more beneficial with an overnight trip. Here you will see Arenal Volcano which is your very typically shaped volcano. You can also go to hot springs at several places in La Fortuna which is the town at the foot of the volcano. When we were there we paid $140 for a day trip to Rincon de la Vieja which included transport, horse riding, zip lining, lunch and hot springs. We paid $255 for a 2 day trip to Arenal and Monteverde with transport, meals, overnight hotel 4*, botanical garden, rain forest walk seeing animals (including sloths), tabacon hot spring (huge compared to Rincon de la Viejas), boat ride across lake Arenal, coffee plantation, humming birds, butterfly exhibition and hanging bridges.

Reply to: Recently returned...any questions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted