We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

I know this is hotly debated so please bear with me. We are trying to book a trip to Las Terrenas for July 2018 from Dallas. There are no nonstop flights from Dallas to anywhere in the DR except Punta Cana... I’ve read the opinions that we should fly into Santo Domingo but the connections/flight times are ridiculous. Same for Santiago, etc ....

So, here’s the information I’m needing input on-

- true drive time from PUJ to Las Terrenas. Google maps and other websites say 3.5 to 4 hours? Is that accurate? Seems like I’ve read 6-7 on some posts???

-we’ve driven all over Mexico, Europe, various islands, Costa Rica... is it really that bad of an idea to rent a car in Punta Cana and drive to Las Terrenas? Our flight lands at 2:55 pm.

- if no rental car, any idea on costs with Dominican Shuttles? Not on their scheduled service (we would have to stay by PUJ for that both ways) but for just a Cessna to get us to AZS?

Last question- are there any great condos/ villas to rent in town? I’m looking at things 2-5K from town. We usually go to Playa Del Carmen and rent a condo in town there. We to just walk to everything for meals and supplies. Wondering if Las Terrenas will be the same as Playa was many many years ago???

Any help is appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
11 replies to this topic
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

"true drive time from PUJ to Las Terrenas"

I plan on 5 hours when I go.

"Our flight lands at 2:55 pm."

You will not be out of the airport by 4 pm...then have to get the car...now after 5pm. Not recommended to make this drive at night. Perhaps a night at Sheraton 4Points for your first evening and then leave early the next day.

"Last question- are there any great condos/ villas to rent in town?"

We tend to prefer Playa Bonita...you can check out the options online. Here is a live webcam... skylinewebcams.com/en/…playa-la-bonita.html

Cheers,

PuntaCana Mike

Mentioned in this post
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
Playa Bonita
Playa Bonita
970 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

Thanks Mike! I’ve seen many of your posts. How about us driving ourselves? Air shuttle?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

Looks like Las Terrenas is actually not right on the beach itself. Playa Bonita is the “beach town?”

Mentioned in this post
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
Playa Bonita
Playa Bonita
970 Reviews
Dominican Republic
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

We are staying in Las Terrenas on the beach right now. We are staying at a wonderful upscale complex, Aligio Apart-Hotel & Spa. Although there is beach directly in front of the complex, a little walk will get you to two other beautiful options, Punta Popy and Playa Ballenas. This location is perfect for walking anywhere we want to go: restaurants at the Pueblo de los Pescadores, the supermarkets, local in town restaurants for Dominican comida. You will have a car but you can park it and use the local taxi service, motoconchos, which are motorcycles used for transport around town for about 50 pesos (about $1). I am personally glad we didn't stay out at Playa Bonita, which is beautiful, but a little too far for enjoying the doings of the town. We are actually reversing your plan next week...we will be leaving Las Terrenas heading to Punta Cana but we are doing it all by public transportation (going into Santo Domingo and then taking the Bavaro Express into Punta Cana). We have driven around DR and agree that you don't want to do anything at night (lack of lights and signs, animals crossing at any time, people on the road at any time, vehicles passing right as you approach, vehicles without any lights, speed humps that seem to be small mountains...)...it['s just better in the day time. If this is your first time here, I definitely recommend you stay in town at one of the places here. You can use your car to visit Playa Bonita instead of constantly using your car to run to the store, to the restaurants, to the bars, to...anywhere else. We have met quite a few people who "used to stay at Playa Bonita" but choose to stay in town because of access to amenities. We have absolutely loved it here and we are sure you'll enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
Playa Bonita
Playa Bonita
970 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

I agree with mike. We also would stay in playa bonita eg hotel atlantis. Playa bonita is much more peaceful than las terranas. LT IMO is overdeveloped these days and lost any charm it once had. Great though if you like the constant sound of moto conchos ringing in your ears.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Bonita
Playa Bonita
970 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

DomingoYork...we have something in common! Go figure! We too, stay at Hotel Atlantis...the room above the bar! We like being away from the constant din of motoconchos and other vehicles. It is our retreat. Not a big deal to drive into town when we need to, but I can understand why some would prefer to be closer to the core. Food is great at Atlantis.

https:/…atlantis-playa-bonita.html

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Atlantis
Hotel Atlantis
172 Reviews
Dominican Republic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

LOL!

The alternative would be las galeras. All the advantages of Playa Bonita but with a handy colmado!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Bonita
Playa Bonita
970 Reviews
Dominican Republic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

Actually if you are traveling all that way then las galeras would be a nicer place to stay. We have stayed in todo blanco which is on.tge sea front. LG also has very few motoconchos.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

I am loving all this input! We originally were going to stay at an AI in Punta Cana but it wasn’t really appealing to any of us! Are any of you Playa Del Carmen folks too? It used to be so much better but we still enjoy the restaurants (good ones, not the ones on 5th) and people watching. Wondering if Las Terrenas has that vibe like Playa used to have?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town

Hi everyone, just starting to research this area. We would love to stay walking distance to restaurants but are light sleepers (hubby wears ear plugs but i just don't like them) so don't want to be in a loud part of town.

Or is las galeras a better place to stay? We were there once on a cruise and took a boat to Playa Rincon and had a great lunch and day on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Rincon
Playa Rincon
1,162 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Reply to: Punta Cana to Las Terrenas, plus staying in town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted