We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire- what company is best value from Cairns airport?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Car Hire- what company is best value from Cairns airport?

Hi,

We are heading to Palm Cove in Dec for a week and having never hired a car before, i am after some advice as to who to hire from at Cairns airport??

Should we book ahead or wait till we arrive, and is it best to book online or direct by phone?

Are there any pitfalls i should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any comments, Stacey...

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Car Hire- what company is best value from Cairns airport?

u can go on line and get a quote and book with the majors eg. hertz, avis et al as well as the minors and the cheapos.

or go on line and look at a car hire portal for price comparisons. www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au/ then book what suits or go thru a broker: www.holidayautos.com.au

pit falls are in general the small print in the contract (know what u r buying!), the cost of collision damage waiver (CDW), not inspecting the car closely on pick up and noting any damage and comparing it to the company's damage report, and when returning it getting a co rep to go over the car with u to inspect for any additional damage. always safer to take detailed pics of the all the car's panels including hood, roof and trunk before and after.

sounds a bit of a deal but there are a lot of shysters in the rental car industry (even within the well known names) and i think car rental cos rate the highest number of complaints with state consumer bodies. i believe nsw gov are even considering a formal enquiry into the industry but that might be a rumour put out by it in its final death throes.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Car Hire- what company is best value from Cairns airport?

Cairns airport to Port Douglas to Palm Cove and surrounding areas,Avis service well,join online as a prefered member,book online...never a problem for me,ever.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Car Hire- what company is best value from Cairns airport?

Thanks so much for the advice people.

Can't wait to visit north qld and chill out and have fun...

4. Re: Car Hire- what company is best value from Cairns airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2011, 02:54