We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...

Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...

hey guys..

i stay at Sydney..and new to Australia.. don't own a car as of now...Me and my wife (both 29-30 age) want to see snow...no skiing..only enjoying the nature on a short weekend trip to snowy mountains..

most of the forums i got dated back to 2013-14 or 15.. and almost everybody talking on driving to snowy mountains.. I was searching for someone who made a trip using public transport.. a cost effective trip yet a enjoyable one...kind of a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains to see the snow..

All..i got from net is.. Jindabyne is a big town near snowy mountains where we can get to by train from sydney... from there.. Thredbo and Perishers are two major destinations for skiing and snow... there is a beautiful train which runs in snow called snow tube from bullock flat to perisher to blue cow...

0. can anyone help in planning a backpackers weekend trip?

1. ticket pricing from sydney to jindabyne train?

2. ticket pricing of snow tube?

3. where to stay? jindabyne? thredbo or perisher or somewheree in between?

4. any recommended cheap accomodations?

5. cheap eats? we both are vegetarians..

6. what all places to see..

thanks....

Cupitt's
Wineries & Vineyards
Warden Head Light
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gondwana Coast Fossil Walk
Points of Interest & Landmarks
7 replies to this topic
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...

There is no train to Jindabyne. Your best bet would be train to Canberra and then bus to Jindabyne. The attached Rome2rio link shows what transport options there are and the approx. cost.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Sydney/Jindabyne

For info on the Ski tube https:/…skitube-timetable

In so far as accommodation is concerned in the snow fields try this link.

snowaccommodation.com.au/page-accommodation.…

I don't know what your budget is for accommodation and eating and what your definition of cheap is IMO a visit to the snowfields is not a cheap experience.

Hope this works out ok for you.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...

Firstly you have asked this in The Ulladulla forum.

There is no train to Jindabyne.Never has been.

The closest is to Canberra and it is two services per day, Then a Coach Country Link, Coach service

Go to www.murrays.com.au they have packages Ex Sydney

Snow Season and cheap.....what do you call cheap.

Kind Regards

Edited: 28 July 2017, 02:37
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...

As mentioned there is no train station in Jindabyne. Another problem is that the Skitube station is at Bullocks Flat which is some distance outside Jindabyne, and there is no accommodation at Bullocks Flat. There is also not much cheap accommodation in the area during ski season. But I do know that there is a YHA Youth Hostel in Thredbo, and I have seen a caravan park in Jindabyne, though I have not stayed in either. I have to admit that I do not fancy staying in a caravan during winter, but perhaps there are people here who have stayed there who can give advice about it.

Without a car, I think you are going to have to rely on buses. I think that Greyhound does have buses that run from Sydney to Thredbo.

Edited: 28 July 2017, 02:48
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...

I think a bus tour that gets you there and back would be best. Transportation to and from the ski fields would also be included. Some are all inclusive but most charge extra for ski hire and lift tickets, which would be fine as you wouldn't want that anyway. You usually get breakfast and dinner and can stay in Jindabyne (cheaper) or in the ski resorts (expensive). There is also a place called the Ski Rider that is close to Perisher/Blue Cow which is fairly inexpensive with shared rooms. I haven't done one from Sydney for a while but the weekend bus trips from Newcastle (about 2 hours north of Sydney) to the Ski Rider start at around $300 each for a 1 night, 2 day stay.

All the best.

Bombala, New South...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...

A few thoughts for you

- as has been said there is no train to Jindy. I would suggest an organised coach trip would be best for you. Just google coach trips to the snow from Sydney and see which one meets your requirements and budget.

- I prefer Perisher but that is because I ski. Thredbo probably has a nicer village atmosphere. Jindabyne is further from the ski fields so you need to travel each day.

- Jindabyne would have cheaper food options but no where in the area will be cheap.

Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...

thanks everyone.. felt very happy to see your proactive responses...! will update back with my plan...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...

I just did a quick google for "Sydney to snow coach trip" and got quite a few over night and multi day tours.

ie

http://ozsnowadventures.com.au/australia/

https://www.oziatours.com.au/

skikaos.com.au/thredbo-2-day-snow-trip-info.…

https://www.experienceoz.com.au/en/sydney/pe…

There were plenty of others so easy enough to look at what each offers and do some price comparisons.

Reply to: need help in a backpacker weekend trip to snowy mountains...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ulladulla