We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South coast road trip

Greensboro, North...
6 posts
Save Topic
South coast road trip

Will be driving from Canberra to Sydney on June 15th. Two adults and two 10 yr old girls. We won't have a ton of time for side-trips but can anyone recommend places for a picnic lunch with good views of the coastline? Pebbly beach sounds interesting. Other recommendations?

Cupitt's
Wineries & Vineyards
Warden Head Light
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Gondwana Coast Fossil Walk
Points of Interest & Landmarks
9 replies to this topic
Greensboro, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South coast road trip

I'm thinking Pebbly Beach for picnic lunch then dinner in Kiama after seeing the lighthouse and the blowhole. Restaurant recommendations?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South coast road trip

Dinner ideas in Kiama would include:

Hanoi on Manning (Vietnamese, 10 Manning Street, opposite the Post Office)

Backdeck Bar and Grill (modern Australian, 127 Terralong Street)

Thai @ Kiama (55 Collins Street)

Nirand Thai (corner Minnamurra and Shoalhaven Streets)

Ritzy Gritz (Mexican, 40 Collins Street in one of the old miners' cottages)

Centerpoint Pizza (pizza/Italian, 106 Terralong Street)

I've eaten at all of these and they would all be OK for a family meal. Others are described on the Kiama tourism website:

http://www.kiama.com.au/search_resultall.asp

Have a great trip!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South coast road trip

i suppose u r wanting to see the kangaroos at pebbly beach.

a few disadvantages. national park charge, fairly rough road in, tame 'roos can be aggressive as they are used to being fed.

my suggestion is south durras. turn off just north of the bay. wonderful beach, still plenty of 'roos, easy access.

other places with beach vistas but a bit further off the track are bawley point/merry beach/pretty beach to the south of ulladulla. lake conjola, bendalong/manyana to the north

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South coast road trip

I am assuming you know that the Federal Highway/ Hume Freeway route between Canberra and Sydney will only take you 3.5 hours and you have made a deliberate choice to take the coast road to see some of the countryside and the scenery?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South coast road trip

Further to evamelb, if you would like some ideas to see some of the coast south of Sydney and even Kiama without having to do the large diversion via Batemans Bay, just let us know.. It is a serious day's drive not leaving much daylight for sightseeing.

I'm sure there is no shortage of kangaroo viewing in Canberra..

Greensboro, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: South coast road trip

Yep. I know it will take much longer but we have the entire day to reach Sydney. I'm just looking for recommendations along this route.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South coast road trip

taking it easy : canberra to ulladulla 3 hrs, ulladulla to kiama 2 hours, kiama to sydney cbd around 11/2 - 2 hours so even with stops u will have plenty of daylight hours to see a few things. from nowra to kiama either take the princes hwy thru berry (twee tourist town) or get on the beginning of the grand pacific drive and head to kiama via shoalhaven heads/coolangatta (wineries) thru the 7 mile beach national park to gerringong.

pity u wont have time to explore jervis bay. doing a quick loop is hardly worth it.

Greensboro, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: South coast road trip

Thanks. Any particular wineries along that route you recommend?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South coast road trip

yes, coolangatta estate and two figs

Reply to: South coast road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ulladulla