We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on a Saturday?

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
What to do on a Saturday?

We're a couple of friends going to Prague from 27-30 October (Thursday-Sunday) and would like to spend one day on a daytrip outside Prague. We're looking for something that's not too far and tiring - any advice?

Thank you

Prague
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

It'll take an hour to get to Kutna Hora and once there, you'll have a nice walk around the town and down to the river. Also you have the cathedral, mint and bone church. Not tiring. You can do the trips yourself or take an organised tour from somewhere like www.premiant.cz or www.martintour.cz. Cesky Krumlov is fairly tiring especially as you'll be in a bus for at least two and a half hours one-way and then the climb up to the castle etc.

Jason

www.livingprague.com

DM
washington DC
Level Contributor
709 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

Sova: How about Brno? We will be in Vienna and want a nice town on the way to Prague. Is Brno worth a visit and is it an easy stop between the two cities?

Prague
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

I don't know much about Brno so I can't recommend anything and it's two hours by bus. There is another town a bit closer called Jihlava. People driving from Czech to Austria who do not want to use the Mikulov border crossing will drive through Jihlava and Moravce Budejovice on the way down through Znojmo. It's a nice route.

Jason

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

Wern. Try also Karlstejn castle. It takes 40 minutes to get to Karlsteijn by regular train (from Smichov station on the yellow metro) and is a good trip to the countryside. In October Karlstejn is relatively quiet. It is though quite a walk up from the train station to the castle.

DM. On Brno, there is not much to see (a nice cathedral) and really that is it, so if you come by train from Vienna to Prague, do not get off. The best towns near to the main road from Vienna to Prague via Brno, are, as Jason has said, Mikulov, and also Trebic and Zdar nad Sazovou although the latter two require a detour. The most pleasant way to travel by car is via a night stop at Cesky Krumlov and an en route stop in Austria at Melk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
407 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

As peb7 pointed out, the train from Vienna to Prague stops in Brno. Sure, it's not Prague, but in my opinion, unless you want to detour to bratislava, but I've actually visited 3 times and it's the most interesting town on the route. Karlstejn castle is much closer to prague; it's almost a suburb.

I like Brno better than Bratislava and what I find most interesting about it is that it is a relatively big Czech town that will be devoid of english speakers, even in July. So if you're interested in getting in touch with the local culture to any extent, Brno is a good place to do it. Unlike Prague, people aren't so used to speaking to foreigners, so they will take time to talk to you. It's a slower pace.

If you want to visit tourist attractions, you have castle, cathedral and the Austerlitz Battlefield (known as Slavkov --where Napoleon beat the combined forces of russia and austro-hungary), and the Slavkov Chateau close by. That's enough for a day on its own. Otherwise you have pubs shopping and the standard stuff. But no hordes of tourists. So it really depends what you're looking for.

pierson
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

If you have only one day for a trip outside Prague, I would go to Karlstejn Castle or Cesky Krumlov. In October, the Chapel of the Holy Cross should still be open (I think it is open July to November). This Chapel is a MUST SEE. On the walls are semiprecious stones, gold, and paintings by Master Theodoric. The guided bus tours from Prague usually don't take this tour. Karlstejn is an easy, less than an hour, train ride from Prague. Sit in the front of the train and take a detailed schedule with you. Unlike Western Europe, Czech train stations often have only one sign for the town. If you sit in the back of the train, the train will leave the station before you see the sign. The website www.idos.cz (English option) has the details for your day of travel. Even on a guided bus tour you would still need to walk from to the top of the hill to see the castle unless you pay for a carriage ride. The Prague reservation office for this Chapel is open 7 to 3; the phone number should still be 274 008 1546 (Prague phone numbers change often so your hotel may need to find the new phone number for you).

Cesky Krumlov is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and many people consider it and Venice/Florence to be the only MUST SEE places in Europe. I would also add the mountain lake towns of Hallstatt and Traunkirchen to the list, but that is another topic. The day tours from Prague take about two and a half hours to reach Cesky Krumlov. The tour company with a sidewalk office close to the Municipal House in Prague used to have the best tour; the very good lunch was on a restaurant patio with a stunning view of the castle and canoes and rafts on the river. Some of the other tours go to a mediocre place on a street near the main square. Be sure that the castle tour includes the Masquerade Hall where people in the paintings on the wall seem to step out into the room. I think the castle may be closed on Monday so check with the tour companies. After lunch there will be a walking tour through the town; if you like architecture and scenic views, you will love this town.

UK
3 posts
1 review
7. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

Anyone know how to get from Brno to Bratislava, train or bus? arriving into Brno airport?

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

Easiest is by train, as these are more frequent than buses.

UK
3 posts
1 review
9. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

Is there a train link at Brno airport to get to Bratislava?

Prague
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: What to do on a Saturday?

Just another castle with the biggest private art collection in Europe and Dvoraks birth place. www.lobkowicz.org

Very interesting place if you like art - they have pieces of Pieter Bruegel the Elder and Younger, Jan Bruegel, two fabulous Canalettos, Lucas Cranach the Elder and Younger, Paolo Veronese, Sir Peter Paul Rubens and Diego Velasquez etc.

There is train stop right in front of the castle, train leaves from Praha Masarykovo Station. Private tours of the collection should be booked ahead. If your lucky the Prince will walk across the courdyard ;-)))

This is a half day trip, so you could add a visit to castle Melnik, winetasting etc.