We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
1 review
Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

Recently I visited Gdansk as a day trip from southern Sweden, so I thought I'd share the valueble information to foreign travelers who are in either Copenhagen or southern Sweden.

You can travel from the Swedish port of Karlskrona to Gdynia back and forth very cheap, and I really mean cheap. To be exact, on weekdays the standard price for the cruises is 20 euro (199 kronor) in low season, and a little bit higher on weekends. The price stays the same the whole season and does not change based on how close to the date it is. The price includes private cabin. That is about 10 euro per person. The price includes both the trip from Karlskrona to Gdynia and the trip from Gdynia to Karlskrona.

The price is doubled in high season, which is still very cheap.

But there is a catch. Stena Line does, maybe intentionally, not advertise these cruise deals on their English website. If you search on the English website, you will only get the standard fees which are alot higher, like 200 euro instead. It is not possible to book these ultra cheap deals on the English website!

However, if you visit the Swedish version stenaline.se and translate it (Swedish translates well into English), and check the cruises section, you will find them there.

The ship departs 21:00 from Karlskrona and arrives in Gdynia at 07:30 the following day, and goes back at 21:00, arriving 07:30 in Karlskrona the day after that. You have to be at the ferry terminal at least 1 hour before departure, so make sure to be there in time.

Karlskrona is a 3 hours train ride from Copenhagen, and about 2 and a half from Malmö, Sweden. There is one direct train every hour, with Karlskrona as it's final destination. From Karlskrona central station there is a bus to the ferry terminal every 30 minutes, and you do not even have to cross the road to get to the bus stop, it's right next to the railway tracks. Take the bus that says Verkö on it, you can use your Karlskrona train ticket to ride with the bus cause the ticket is valid for public transport in all of Karlskrona.

Gdynia is not an interesting place, but it's very close to top northern Polish destinations Sopot and Gdansk, and not so far from Malbork. There are taxis waiting outside the ferry terminal with standard fares, there are also buses if you prefer that.

So you can spend a whole day in this region in whatever city/town you like. I split my trip between Gdansk and Sopot, and when I did the same trip earlier I spent my time in Gdansk and Malbork.

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
1 review
1. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

Forgot to mention, if you travel 1 person, you pay 20 euro, but if you travel 2 persons, you also pay 20 euro, the cabin is for 2 people. But even if you book it for yourself only, it will not be shared with anyone else.

Gdansk, Poland
Destination Expert
for Sopot, Gdynia, Gdansk
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
26 reviews
67 helpful votes
2. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

This also works in opposite direction: Karlskrona is a lovely day trip destination from Gdansk/Sopot/Gdynia. The Stena Line ferry terminal is located 4 km from Gdynia-Główna railway station (10 min by taxi). The price for return ticket is 159 PLN (below 40 EUR)

https://www.stenaline.pl/trasy/gdynia-karlskrona

Edited: 3 years ago
Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
1 review
3. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

Yes, Karlskrona is a UNESCO world heritage site and a must as well. However, it appears the 159 PLN is just for one way, I tried entering getting to Karlskrona and back to Gdynia, and it ended at 291 PLN and it didn't include cabin, which also adds like 70 euro extra one-way. I wonder why there are no cheap cruise deals on weekdays from Gdynia to Karlskrona. There appears to be weekend cruises from Gdynia to Karlskona, but those are alot more expensive than the Karlskrona-Gdynia cruises.

I at least know the reason for the ultra cheap cruise deals from the Swedish side, and it's not cause Swedes are poor. It's cause Swedes go to Poland to buy cheap alcohol and these cruises competes with chartered bus trips to Germany for equally cheap alcohol, so people will choose a combination of what is the cheapest and most comfortable. Currently these day trips to Gdynia are cheaper than the buses to Germany.

So Stena Line most likely want to keep this as a secret for Swedish-speaking markets as international tourists from say the USA or Australia in Europe are prepared to pay more.

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
1 review
4. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

I also used this cruise deal one time to get to Poznan (by train from Gdynia Glowny) and skipped the return, being caring I informed them about this so they wouldn't think I'm lost. So it's also a very cheap way to continiue your journey from say Copenhagen (or southern Sweden) to Poland, cause from the Gdynia Glowny train station, very easy to use, you can access all of Poland by train, there are direct trains to Poznan, Wroclaw, Torun, Lodz, Warsaw, Krakow etc.

Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
5. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

HI

Are the prices also low , vise versa , from Gdynia to Karlskrona , on the swedish website ?

i will arrive to Gdynia from warsaw //and want to to cruise from Gdynia to Karlskona for a day trip (i think it has to be at least 2 days because only the cruise takes 10 hours each direction...)

and . are there any extras options to add ? u want to order am all you can eat buffet on the ship..like in the tallink cruises..

TNANKS

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
1 review
6. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

You can only book a cruise from Sweden to Poland on the Swedish website, not from Poland to Sweden.

To book a cruise to Sweden you would have to book on the Polish website, stenaline.pl, and they are more expensive there and has different deals, but I think its under 100 euro. Yes you can add a buffet like on Tallink, I think its about 20 euro

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
1 review
7. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

There is a good reason why its so cheap to take a cruise from Sweden to Poland, a huge percentage of the Swedish passengers are going for cheap alcohol to bring home from Poland, no one would pay alot of money for a trip to buy cheap alcohol cause then they might as well just buy it at home, so it has to be cheap.

Here are Sweden cruise deals on the Polish website

https://www.stenaline.pl/wycieczki

Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
8. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

Thanks mate .

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
1 review
9. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

I think this is the kind of deal you are looking for, day trip to Karlskrona with 2 nights in a cabin, prices range from 299 PLN to 599 PLN which is alot more expensive than going from Sweden to Poland

https://www.stenaline.pl/do-szwecji/rejsy-turystyczne/szwecja-w-jeden-dzien

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
1 review
10. Re: Tip: Day trip to Gdansk from Copenhagen and southern Sweden
Save

And when arriving in Karlskrona, do not take the taxi to the city center, it will be terribly expensive. There is a bus every 30 minutes and at arrivals at the ferry terminal you can buy a public transport ticket in the ticket machine that is valid for 24 hours in all directions within Karlskrona, for only 5 euro (50 kronor)

Get answers to your questions about Gdansk
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.