We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Mines

southeast ireland
Level Contributor
432 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Mines

When visiting the Salt Mines is the stairs the only way to enter ?

12 replies to this topic
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Mines

Yes, for the popular tourist route, which starts with a descent of 350 steps, out of 800 steps in all through the visit. Pilgrims' route takes you first down in a lift, and while there are some steps to navigate, it's less than on other tours. Miners' route is the most strenuous of all, wearing miner's clothes and carrying their equipment.

https://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/visiting

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Mines

I actually called the salt mine for you to get some details.

They switched the main entrance to being a staircase rather than a lift a few years back. So yes, for the main tourist route, you have to take the stairs.

However, there is a disabled group which gets down at 9:00, 12:45 & 17:00, speaking either Polish or English. If you want to join that group, you have to reserve a spot using https:/…tt_np

From what I've been told, it's personalized to the level of disability of the people joining. If you're on a wheelchair, you can use your own as long as it's up to 59cm wide. If yours is wider, they have the proper wheelchairs at hand, but with limited availability, so that's why you book in advance.

The ticket is cheaper for disabled people, but you still get to see the main attractions, including the St. Kinga's chapel and an underground lake.

So, if stairs are a problem for you, just sign up to the disabled group and you'll omit these obstacles :)

Hope that helps!

southeast ireland
Level Contributor
432 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Mines

Thank you

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Mines

The above answers aren't entirely accurate.

It is always possible to descend in the lift as a private group for an additional fee.

Also it is usually possible to descend in the lift free of charge just by asking when you turn up, I have had this request granted dozens of times, never been refused yet.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Mines

Phil, you are incorrect. I called the salt mine once more and right now when taking the main tourist route, you can not go down using an elevator. You have to take 400 steps of stairs. Taking an elevator would be pointless as there are 400 more steps to go through on the route itself (underground). With the amount of people traveling to the salt mine, it's hard for me to imagine they would fulfill such requests at all.

I also got a few more details on pricing, required documents for disabled people etc. which I described on my blog: https:/…

Edited: 20 January 2018, 19:09
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt Mines

Wrong again Chris, it clearly states on their website that groups can descend in the lift for an additional charge, 1 particular tour company do it at least twice a week.

You don't think halving the number of steps is worthwhile, i and many others disagree with you, it's perfect for some elderly or mobility impaired people.

You finding it hard to imagine something doesn't make it untrue.

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Salt Mines

Phil,

What is this tour company you mention? I am in the process of organising my trip to Krakow and it would be greatly helpful :)

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salt Mines

Hi Tommy

The company I refer to do weekend package trips that include flight, hotel, Auschwitz and salt mine. It is a firm called Riviera. They generally target older guests, that is why they always descend in to the mine via the lift.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salt Mines

your info on salt mines as a disabled person was very informative thank you

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salt Mines

I was completely disregarded my idea of a visit to the salt mines for us for our visit due in a couple of weeks for the reason of the steps. I have COPD and my Husband has bad knees - both of which mean many steps a no-no. Can anyone tell me how we would go about signing up for tickets which would include lift to take us down into the mines? I was so upset that we wouldn't be able to see this. but now seems we just may?

Reply to: Salt Mines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted