We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit?

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Where to visit?

Hi, I am due to visit Krakow in 2 weeks time and was due to stay here with a friend. Sadly she died at the New Year and I shall now be travelling alone. My problem is that I may have 'overbooked' my stay here and I need places to visit that will occupy me for ten days. I would be grateful for recommendations for places to visit outside of Krakow that are 'doable' as daytrips by public transport.

Another plea: I would also grateful receive recommendations for restaurants where a single person would not feel uncomfortable!!! I shall be staying near Miadowa, if that helps.

Many thanks.

Best Seller
Day Trip to Auschwitz-Birkenau and...
457 Reviews
from US$82.20*
Best Seller
Full-Day Tour to Auschwitz-Birkenau...
193 Reviews
from US$76.30*
Best Seller
Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum and...
419 Reviews
from US$35.20*
9 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Where to visit?

Sorry for your loss.

Auschwitz and Salt Mines are the main day trip options. My trip report will give you some tips.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274…

I’m sure the other posters will give you more suggestions. I can only think of a visit to Zakopane but you may want to stay overnight or for a few days due to the distance.

Have a great time.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Where to visit?

Sorry for your sad news. If you can state your interests then you will increase the chance of recommendations. What type of things had you hoped to do and see with your friend. What age bracket. Hopefully we can then help you out.

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
2,090 reviews
3. Re: Where to visit?

So sad to hear your news, Krakow is a lovely place, its safe and friendly. Take your time, no need to rush around, do some people watching from a cafe, walk along the river. There's loads to do, once you have been to Auschwitz and Salt Mines have a look at:

Schindler's Factory

Gestapo Museum

Executioners Museum

The many Churches

Wavel Castle.

Your hotel can help! Or if you need a trip have a look at link, this guy is fantastic and I'm sure will help you 🙂

http://www.krakowtours.co.uk/

4. Re: Where to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 September 2018, 02:00

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Where to visit?

Frankly, I'd advise skipping Auschwitz unless you're feeling particularly robust. In the cold weather it's a tough day out.

Apart from the other excellent ideas above, I'd suggest you try going for an Eataway dinner - they're hosted by local people in their homes and are a great way to see a different aspect of the city.

Ireland
Level Contributor
151 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Where to visit?

The free walking tours around the city are very good if you are by yourself.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Where to visit?

Hello, what dates are you going? I'll be there Jan 28th (arriving late) until Thursday 1st. I'm travelling solo, so if you feel at a lost end or want a travel buddy for a few hours let me know and I'll send you my contact details - btw, I'm very well behaved ;)

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Where to visit?

Hello, what dates are you going? I'll be there Jan 28th (arriving late) until Thursday 1st. I'm travelling solo, so if you feel at a lost end or want a travel buddy for a few hours let me know and I'll send you my contact details - btw, I'm very well behaved ;)

Edited: 16 January 2018, 05:49
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
19 posts
9. Re: Where to visit?

You can safely take 2 days off to visit the Tatra mountains (2 hours away from Krakow). Even in the winter you can safely visit the Morskie Oko lake (8km by foot on a paved asphalt route, very easy). The view is more or less like this (plus lots of snow): https:/…morskie-oko-lake-near-krakow.jpg

The 2nd day you can take a cableway to Kasprowy mountain - the views are breathtaking. Don't slip, though ;)

Spend evenings at the Krupówki street in Zakopane - it's great.

REMEMBER: it gets dark at about 15:00 in the mountains, plan your trip early!

Reply to: Where to visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted