We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zakopane day trip from Krakow? Worth it?

Mason, Ohio, United...
2 posts
Zakopane day trip from Krakow? Worth it?

Hey guys. I'm heading tomorrow to Krakow for a 4 day trip. I'm in the midst of doing the final plans of the trip and I'm still at a cross-roads on whether I should do Zakopane or not?

I've looked at lots of pics and the place looks too beautiful to pass up. What are your thoughts?

I see that the cable car to Mount Kasprowy is not operational at this time.

I would still be able to catch the funicular to Gubałówka hill however.

Is it all worth it? If I were to go it'd be after tomorrow, November 14.

4 replies to this topic
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Zakopane day trip from Krakow? Worth it?

November visit is worth your time only in sunny day

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
118 reviews
2. Re: Zakopane day trip from Krakow? Worth it?

You really need to check the weather the day before you intend to visit. If it's going to be a dull day I would advise giving it a miss. You would need to leave very early morning and then bear in mind how dark it will be mid-late afternoon. Zakopane really is an overnight destination but could eat into your time in Krakow, which I wouldn't personally do on a first visit. You need to weigh up are you prepared to do a 5hr round trip.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Zakopane day trip from Krakow? Worth it?

The weather forecast for Wednesday shows rain / snow. Give it a miss, as hijacs said it.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
832 posts
4. Re: Zakopane day trip from Krakow? Worth it?

If you're just going to Gubałówka and the city, then it's not worth it. It's worth it if you're fine to do some easy/lower-intermediate hike to actual mountain (e.g. to one of the lakes at mid-level), but it only makes sense if weather is sunny. So monitor http://tpn.pl/zwiedzaj/pogoda , if sunny days arrive while you're still here you can go and make a hike, if cloudy days prevail then give it a pass.

Reply to: Zakopane day trip from Krakow? Worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Krakow