We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zakopane Transport

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Zakopane Transport

Coming back to Krakow for 4 nights in December after I fell in love with the place last year. This time I've booked an overnight stay in zakopane in the middle of my stay. Is the bus the best way to get there or train? Is any one bus company quicker or better than another or are they all the same? Thanks for any help.

8 replies to this topic
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
175 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Zakopane Transport

The fastest way to get to Zakopane: www.blablacar.pl

Blablacar is much faster then bus because local buses have a lot of stops.

But if you don't like blablacar then the fastest bus is: www.flixbus.pl (Flixbus is more domestic not local bus so doesn't have any stop between Kraków and Zakopane).

And travel time by train is nowadays really ridiculous (->4 hours).

Edited: 13 November 2018, 03:01
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Zakopane Transport

It is always good to check the information before posting.

Currently there is no railway connection between Kraków and Zakopane, because of the reconstruction.

Hence the 4 hrs travel times shown on the railway website.

Once it reopens (in December, check the online timetable before the departure to be 100% sure), the fastest train will take about 3 hours. Not that ridiculous, considering the possible traffic jams during bad weather.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
175 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Zakopane Transport

Really there's no train connection ? Did you check ?

I did. So for tomorrow:

Kraków Płaszów - Zakopane: 6:44 a.m., 12:01 p.m., 5:14 p.m.

Travel time: 3 hours 56 miniutes/ 4:02/ 3:55.

Kraków Płaszów is still in Kraków (only about 15 minutes by tram from main station). So for me 4 hours between Kraków and Zakopane (around 100 kilometers) is ridicoulus.

That's why I wrote that blablacar and domestic buses like Flixbus are currently the fastest way - around 2 hours without any traffic jams.

Edited: 13 November 2018, 04:00
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
828 posts
4. Re: Zakopane Transport

On what site did you check? The info on it is incorrect.

All three which you mentioned are buses. 6:44 a.m., 12:01 p.m., 5:14 p.m. Just they are operated by the train company (Przewozy Regionalne), because they serve as replacement for trains, but if the website lists them as trains then it's not the site one should use ;) I suggest http://rozklad-pkp.pl/en , I haven't so far seen their info being out of date.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
175 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Zakopane Transport

I checked https://kup.biletyregionalne.pl/ There's no information about buses but of course it's possible because reconstruction is in progress.. But whatever it is, the traveller have to go to train station and buy "train ticket" even if it's bus that replacements train. And whatever it is - it's still 4 hours so it's a good idea to recommend other possibility like blablacar or Flixbus.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
828 posts
6. Re: Zakopane Transport

It matters, though. Some people for example have motion sickness and they might prefer 4 hour travel by rail compared to 2 hour travel by road. And just the fact whether they need to buy the tickets on train station doesn't matter much for them ;) In this case there is absolutely no possible reason to use this means of transport, this is just a bus that takes 4 hours (because of following the normal route of the train), and the alternative is normal buses which take a bit over 2 hours.

Edited: 13 November 2018, 04:30
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Zakopane Transport

MarcinPolandKraków - there is no rail connection today. All the trains listed are not trains, in fact, they are buses.

The only thing I do not know is until when the railway is closed, some info on the web say it's mid November. But I don't believe in any timings provided by PKP.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Zakopane Transport

Thank you. I think I may go with the flixbus option.

Reply to: Zakopane Transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted