We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague to Krakow

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Prague to Krakow

Hi

We are planning to go from Prague to Krakow by a night train. So we've been looking for trains on the DB Bahn website and we've found one which departs on 7May 20:17 in Prague and arrives on 8May 07:14 in Krakow. But there's a reminder "runs not every day" for this train.

So I wanna know if the train will be really available on that day and are the train schedules listed on the DB Bahn websites confirmed for May??

Also the web listed both EX 403 and R 403 as the "products" but indicates that we don't have to change trains. I'm a bit confused. So which exactly am i going to take?

And will there be any people coming onto the train to check our passports when we cross the Czech-Poland border at night?

This would be my first time in Europe so i may sound a bit naive. Sorry :P

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Prague to Krakow

czech and Poland are both party of the schengen agreement in many European "states" so there is now no border or passport control between the countries.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Prague to Krakow

Looking here the train will run in may

intercity.pl/en/…journey-planner.html

but it does not run on march 24th

departs prague 20:17, arrives krakow 07:03

Train number is D 403

The 403 is consistent, the letter is probably related to some sort of country reference.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
89 posts
3. Re: Prague to Krakow

Train will be available. DB Bahn site have correct schedules. Check also here if you want: http://rozklad-pkp.pl/?q=en/node/143

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
1 review
4. Re: Prague to Krakow

The Prague to Krakow overnight train runs every day of the year, including 24 March. The schedule may change slightly from time to time due to engineering work.

The train carries coaches with standard seating, couchettes and sleeping cars.

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Bydgoszcz, Poland

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Prague to Krakow

the intercity.pl website says

"2. Mar until 30. May 2012; not 24. Mar"

It appears the reason for 24march Iis that it arives in krakow around 2 hours later that day. That will also be why the DB website states not all days, because the timings occasionally change

Edited: 02 March 2012, 03:34
Hong Kong, China
4 posts
6. Re: Prague to Krakow

Thanks very much

I also wanna ask how much approx would return tickets cost? ( we would return to Prague on 9May) We have 3 ppl and we prefer sleepers. Is it possible to buy the tickets until we are in Prague? And are we likely to get a seat if we don't reserve one?

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Prague to Krakow

The fare is (or was) around 40 euros PLUS either:

10 euros or so for a bunk in a 6-bunk couchette.

20 euros or so for a bed in a 3-bed sleeper.

28 euros or so for a bed in a 2-bed sleeper.

I'd recommend a sleeper. You can buy at the station in Prague, it seldom sells out, but buy when you arrive to be sure. the Wateels office is a good place to buy, they have friendly English speaking staff.

This train cannot be booked online. yes, it runs daily. Bahn.de may hold different schedules for different dates.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
106 reviews
8. Re: Prague to Krakow

would u just pay twice the rate if you want a solo sleeper? ie pay for both bunks?

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Prague to Krakow

For sole occupancy of a single-berth sleeper you need a 1st class ticket (50% more than a 2nd class one) plus a 57 euro (approx) supplement.

If it's affordable for you, by all means, but it's been normal to share in Europe for 150 years, with another civilised sleeper passenger of the same sex, so don't worry too much if sole occupancy is too expensive, it's not necessary.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
106 reviews
10. Re: Prague to Krakow

i just have weird visuals of being confined with a person who smells, or worse :) then again, they might think the same of me:)

seriously though, i woudl rather be alone in terms of sleeping in such a confined space if its a stranger.