We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water safe to drink in Poland

Level Contributor
651 posts
90 reviews
Tap water safe to drink in Poland

I will be spending 3 weeks in Poland - Krakow, Wroclaw, and Poznan with some daytrips.

I was wondering if the tap water is safe to drink in Poland or is bottled water a "must".

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
1. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

Tap water is safe to drink everywhere in Poland. I personally do not see any difference between tap water and most bottled water brands with the exception of water with high mineral content ("woda wysokozmineralizowana") which does taste better.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

Hi,

water in Poland is quite ok to drink. Sometimes it tastes strange (in Cracow it has more Ca:) ) but it's not dangerius at all. Everything depends on you. We are drinking tap water here.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

The water is fine, but personally I never touch the stuff. Beer all the way for me!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

I dont like tap water, just because of the taste of it. I know it is safe as has to go through all harsh testing before it is sent to the pipes. Still I think Warsaw's water tastes better than Parisian or London water, that you get to "taste" for free at restaurants (here in Poland you dont get free water at restaurants).

I prefer bottled water, either for drinking at home or for drinking while walking. Especially that it can be really cheap if you buy the large water bottles (5 liters). And of course there are all kinds of waters to chose from - mineral (depending on the type of mineral can be either sour, bit sweet or have some other straneg taste) or spring water (Żywiec Zdrój being the most popular, tastes like fresh water, or actually does not have any taste, which is also nice)

Edited: 06 May 2012, 11:55
Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
755 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

Are you kidding? Only few brands of bottled water are worth considering (according to the study published pretty recently), the rest is pretty much the same as tap water.

Unfortunately, it's not France and you will not see "free tap water" in the menu in restaurant.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

Tap water is totally safe although in Poland it is much more rare to see people actually doing it, for some weird reason. Bottled water is extremely popular, cheap and readily available, even though not necessarily 'healthier' than tap water.

Level Contributor
651 posts
90 reviews
7. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

I thank you all for your repiles and reassurances. That is great. I drank tap water in Prague and Budapest after checking on Tripadvisor, without any ill-effects. It is good to know I can do the same in Poland.

As well, it is good to know that one has to pay for water in a restuarant. In Canada, it is free in a restuarant but I have found that in many cities in Europe one pays for water (bottled) in restuarants. That is fine with me. Once I am aware of that, I often order a juice or soft drink with my meal instead of water.

London, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
218 reviews
8. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

hi,

i agree in london much worst water to drinkP:)

regards

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
379 reviews
9. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

Hi Evelyn2109 (check your e-mail by the way :) )

You've posed a question about which I haven't thought... When we stay with my Polish in-laws we always drink bottled water. Perhaps that's just because my mother-in-law buys the big (5L?) bottles.

Personally I've never drank tap water in Poland unless by mistake, but as I say, I think this is more by influence from the in-laws.

10. Re: Tap water safe to drink in Poland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 14:05