We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip to Warsaw - review

Which Warsaw hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Henley in Arden
Level Contributor
28 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend trip to Warsaw - review

I've just come back from a lovely trip to Warsaw. Here it is in brief to help others:

Stayed at the Westin, good location and a nice comfy hotel (see review). Booked well in advance and got the rooms for around 50 pound.

Had dinner the first night at Folk Gospoda, nice traditional themed restaurant. Good for a family meal and a nice touristy visit. Stopped in at Pub Slusarnia on the way for a couple of drinks. Locals joint.

Spent the first morning at the Warsaw Uprising Museum, after breakfasting on fresh pastries and yoghurts from the local supermarket CarreFour.

Amazing. Everyone should visit this museum. Can be quite horrific at times, there are some disturbing films, but very interesting in seeing the roles played by everyone, old and young. I have Polish granparents so this was especially poignant.

You can quite easily spend 3 plus hours here, so make sure you leave enough time.

Had lunch on Nowy Swait at Zapiecek for pierogi, yum, followed by ice cream at Grycen, meh. Get one of the massive swiderki ice creams you will see around. Move over Mr Whippy!!

Walked around Old Town, stopping in at St Anne's, where a couple were getting married. Beautiful.

In the Old Square we stopped at one of the many restaurants that have their tables in the square, Restauracja Cafe Rynek. Sat here for a few hours having drinks, putting the world to rights after our visit to the Museum and listening to the jazz band as they set up for the evening. The last evening of Jazz in the Old Square is 25th Aug.

As it was quite loud we didnt want to eat dinner in the square so set off for the New Town. After passing lots of restaurants we decided on Fret@porter in the New Square. Very good food. After seeing lots of people walking through the bottom of the square (around 9pm) we found out that at the bottom of the hill there was a fountain and lazer/light show, which I believe happens every Friday and Saturday at 9:30pm during the summer. Nice end to the first day.

Sunday we visited Lazienki Park. Beautiful. Lots of walking beneath the trees, watching the birds and other animals, including red squirrels and a deer! Bizarrely you are not allowed to sit on the grass, i think there is a designated area, but it would be lovely to come here with a picnic. Could have spent several hours here... instead we went back to the Old and New Town for a late lunch before going back to the airport. I wanted to leave with the taste of Poland fresh in my mind, so we opted for Boruta in the New Square; sleigh-type chairs and a basic menu with all the classics. Tasty and reasonably priced.

All in all I have to say that Warsaw was a great trip. The whole city seems very relaxed, which rubbed off on us. We found it to be peaceful and quiet, even in the city centre, and we hope to come back here soon.

Hope that hasnt bored the pants off you all!

Helen

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend trip to Warsaw - review

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed your time in Warsaw. By the way, I am curious in which Carrefour you bought your breakfast. Was it in the shopping mall next to the station? I think there is no other Carrefour in the city center.

Henley in Arden
Level Contributor
28 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend trip to Warsaw - review

The CarreFour was a block from the Westin Hotel where we were staying, on Krochmalna. there was also an ATM outside which was handy.

I forgot to mention, that when we were at Lazienki Park, we were treated to a Chopin recital by Rinko Kobayashi in the Amphitheatre. They are doing these every Sunday until the end of September, one at 12pm and one at 4pm.

Helen

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend trip to Warsaw - review

Thank you. I did not even know there is a Carrefour.

Those Chopin concerts are very popular even among locals, I also attend them regurlarly. It could be that we both were to thesame concert as I remember that Japanese lady.

4. Re: Weekend trip to Warsaw - review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 00:17