We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Budapest to Sighisoara

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
train from Budapest to Sighisoara

I'm looking at travelling by overnight train from Budapest to Sighisoara. I'm having trouble finding the cost of a sleeper on this train and how far in advance you need to book the sleeper. We are not travelling til May 2011 and will be in Budapest for for a few nights before we need to travel on.

Thanks

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
1. Re: train from Budapest to Sighisoara

It should start from about €40 in second class (ticket+bed in six beds couchette). There's no need to book in advance.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
553 reviews
2. Re: train from Budapest to Sighisoara

An alternative solution to the train is flying. We took this option because I could not imagine spending 10 hours on a slow train overnight with our then 2 year old daughter.

You can fly with either Malev or Wizzair from Budapest to Targu Mures and flight is 50 minutes' duration. Sighisoara is only about 90 mins by road from Targu Mures airport and there are good, trustworthy local car rental companies at the airport. From what I have seen, the previous poster, Alterme, has a wealth of knowledge on public transport options in Romania and they will be able to give advice on public transport between Targu Mures airport and Sighisoara.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
3. Re: train from Budapest to Sighisoara

Thank you Mutiny. Getting from Targu Mures to Sighisoara by public transport is rather easy: first a bus from the road next to the airport to Targu Mures itself (there's at least one per hour, costs under €1) then another bus from Targu Mures to Sighisoara (runs every two hours and cost about €2)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: train from Budapest to Sighisoara

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

5. Re: train from Budapest to Sighisoara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2012, 02:16