We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day to spend outside Debrecen

Level Contributor
25 posts
A day to spend outside Debrecen

Hi all, this is the first time I'm writing in this forum. Can anyone suggest me of a place outside Debrecen where I can go and spend some good time and return on the same day? Suddenly got an entire day off so looking for a nearby place to visit for the day. Thank you in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,974 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: A day to spend outside Debrecen

Will you have a car ?

And please update your profile to include where you are from - we don't need your home address, but knowing country of origin can be very useful when answering questions, as I suspect it might be here.

Edited: 03 May 2017, 03:46
Level Contributor
25 posts
2. Re: A day to spend outside Debrecen

Hi, thank you.

I'm a student at the University of Debrecen. I'm originally from India. No I wont have a car. Me and my boyfriend would be travelling, I mean spending an entire day somewhere (outside Debrecen) and would have to return the same day (may be a little late at night).

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,974 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: A day to spend outside Debrecen

Budapest is 2.5 hours by train.

Your being from India is why it is important to update your profile: I suspect you have a Schengen visa, but I think that you won't be able to cross into Romania.

Have you been anywhere outsdie of Debrecen before ? the Hortobagy National Park is close, but I am not sure of the local bus services.

Edited: 03 May 2017, 07:17
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
966 posts
1 review
4. Re: A day to spend outside Debrecen

Hi,

Having a Schengen visa DO allows you to enter Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria.

A piece of the official regulation:

"Note that holders of a Schengen visa can enter Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania for up to 90 days in a 180-day period during the validity of their Schengen visa without having to apply for Bulgarian, Croatian and/or Romanian visas."

But even if they have suddenly changed this rule a couple of minutes ago, then your best bet would be checking with the official Romanian or whatever Government site. Takes just a few minutes and you will have an exact answer to your question.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,974 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: A day to spend outside Debrecen

If that is true then Oradea, just over the border, is a nice town to spend a day.

Level Contributor
25 posts
6. Re: A day to spend outside Debrecen

Thank you so much. Yes, I do have a schengen visa. But can you please tell me how can I reach Oradea from Debrecen and how long will it take, I mean the quickest way? And it would be also helpful if you can suggest me some (tourist) places to visit in Oradea. Moreover, I would also like to know if it is possible to go to Oradea from Debrecen, roam around and retuen back the same day. Thank you once again.

Level Contributor
25 posts
7. Re: A day to spend outside Debrecen

Tha nk you so much. Yes, I do have a schengen visa.

Level Contributor
25 posts
8. Re: A day to spend outside Debrecen

Thank you so much. Yes, I do have a Schengen visa. I have been to Prague and Italy rwcently. But having just a day in hand, I am wondering to roam aeound a very nearby place outside Debrecen. Can you please tell me how long will it take to reach Hortobagy National Park from Debrecen? And is it possible to go there, spwnd some time and return the same day? Thank you once again.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,974 posts
64 reviews
9. Re: A day to spend outside Debrecen

You need to look up local bus services: there certainly used to be a bus service to Oradea from Debrecen.

As for what to do there, google 'things to do oradea'.

It should certainly be possible to get to both places and back in a day.

There must be a touist info shop in Debrecen where you could ask about bus services.

Reply to: A day to spend outside Debrecen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Debrecen