We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debrecen National antique fair in September 2017 in Hungaria

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Debrecen National antique fair in September 2017 in Hungaria

Pplease, English will follow below

Probálunk találni információt és képeket és feedbackot a nemzeti régiség vásárrol mert szeretnénk tudni valaszni ha oda megyűnk vagy Pécsi bolhapiacra és nem tudjuk mi a jobb hely, kerűnk szépen egy jó tanácsot Szeptember 16 17 re. Magyarorszagban leszunk 11-17 itg, elso napokat Pesten leszunk, aztan akarunk 14-15-16 vagy Debrecen vagy Pecsen lenni, 17 Pesten es 18 koran reggel megyunkg haza, koszonom

We are going to travel to Hungary September 11 to 18, and are looking for antiqueand vintage jewelry markets and fleamarkets. We would like to get some sound adviceas to the national fair advertised at Debrecen for September 16, 2017, as we were unable to fine more info about it online. Also, which one is better toattend, the fair on that day in Pécsor the one in Debrecen, thank you

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,974 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Debrecen National antique fair in September 2017 in Hungaria

There are 2 antique fairs on the same day ? Hungary is like Ireland: I find it unlikely there will be 2 major antique fairs on the same day, even if they are at opposite ends of the country.

Pecs has a pretty regular flea market, and is the nicer town to visit. Both are about the same distance from Budapest.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Debrecen National antique fair in September 2017 in Hungaria

Thank you. The question is whether you actually know what thr answer is. oecs is advertised as a regular flea market (bolhapiac), while Febrecen is supposed to be a National antique market (Nemzeti Regisegvasar), hence my innitial wuestion.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
968 posts
1 review
3. Re: Debrecen National antique fair in September 2017 in Hungaria

Hi,

Here is the info for you, based on my humble experience of 25 years of regular visits to those antique markets.

I even used to take tourists to those places years ago. There were ten times more stuff and then times more visitors those days. Some friends used to come to Budapest from Italy every single month for the Pecs flea market. Now there are ten times less visitors/buyers (to the flea markets) and much, much higher prices, hence is the decline of the Antiques tourism to Hungary.

There is no such thing as National Antiques fair. Well, yes, they have something like that once in a year in Budapest but still it is just a showcase of the Budapest antique stores and galleries.

NOW! THE RULE OF THUMB:

90% of the Hungarian antiques fairs and goods controlled/delivered/supplied by the Hungarian Gypsy community. 100% Positive. Just visit any of those markets and check out the vendors.

Even if you visit the fanciest Budapest stores, most of the stuff comes from Gipsy middlemen.

There are some special castes/classes buying up the stuff and reselling it to Antique shop owners.

My wife restores icons, paintings and furniture so we have the absolute knowledge of the structure of the whole business.

The event in Debrecen is just on of the regular fairs held in various Hungarian cities, so absolutely not a National event. You can go there, make pictures of the vendors and a week or so later you will find most of those guys in Győr, Pécs, Székesfehérvár, etc., etc.

There is no chance there will be a market in Pécs at the same time. They have it every Thursday, before the FIRST Sunday of the month!

Actually the one in Pecs is the largest, at least it was once.

If you will be in Budapest from September 11 to 18, then your best bet is to visit the shops along Falk Miksa street in Budapest, check the prices, get accustomed to things etc.

On Saturday 16 If I were you, I would rather go to the Budapest's once iconic ECSERI flea market instead.

https:/…

https:/…

Training or driving the 200 kms to Debrecen just simply not justified in my opinion.

You can visit the Ecseri flea-market during the week as well. but there will be less than half of the vendors present.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
968 posts
1 review
4. Re: Debrecen National antique fair in September 2017 in Hungaria

PS.

By the way. Where did you find that fancy "Nemzeti Regisegvasar" title for the Debrecen flea?

They are just a regular biweekly fair, nothing extraordinary, just like all the others.

http://www.debreceniregisegvasar.hu/

According to their web, there will be a fair called "Hajdúszoboszlói Országos Régiségvásár (2017. szeptember 16.)." National antiques fair in Hajdúszoboszló, which is a small Spa town, 20 kilometers from Debrecen.

Well, the Hajduszoboszló one is not a bad idea. If you ain't find anything useful at the flea-market, then you can go and soak away your sorrow in one of the best and probably largest Thermal Spas in Europe:))

https://www.hungarospa.hu/en/

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,974 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Debrecen National antique fair in September 2017 in Hungaria

What is oecs and Febrecen ?

6. Re: Debrecen National antique fair in September 2017 in Hungaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2018, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Debrecen