We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

Belfast
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

Hi all,

I'm planning a stag party for June 2015 for a bunch of 25-40 year olds and Siofok was recommended to me by a Slovakian friend at work. From what I can see on google it looks like a lovely place with a party atmosphere. I've been told it's great value for money and there's plenty to do day and night. However I've heard some stories about stag parties in Eastern European countries where people have been robbed etc. Can anyone tell me what to expect in Siofok and if we have anything to worry about? Good idea or bad idea??

Siofok Water Tower
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Siofok Evangelical Church
Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals
Kalman Imre Memorial House
Art Museums, Speciality Museums
10 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

If you want to take advantage of locals, you will be taken advantage of. Remember this, and you will be fine.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,824 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

How long will you have ? unless you have a minibus pick you up at the airport to take you there, Siofok ain't the quickest place to get to: you would have to get into the centre of town and then catch a train - and trains in that part of the world ain't quick.

Hungary is in Central Europe btw, not Eastern.

Belfast
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

Thanks for your comments and help guys,

Hi Rawlee, we're very friendly guys who just like a laugh and a beer, while of course being respectful to everyone else. On your advice we will have no problems!

Hi Roman Citizen, I'm thinking 3-4 days, Wednesday or Thursday to Sunday. I will look into booking a mini bus if it's not too expensive. We will already have spent a lot of time travelling by the time we arrive so we would like the quickest way possible! And apologies, google results puts Hungary into both Central and Eastern European category, I will remember Central in future :)

Would you guys have any recommendations for activities/places to stay or any advice on anything else that would help with planning the trip?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

Well, if you can make it july, instead of june, you can go to Balaton Sound.

http://www.balatonsound.com/

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
82 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

Hungary is actually Central Eastern Europe, so do not worry, you were quite right. Now, you must be confused. :)

Staying safe:

Siófok is safe, you will not get robbed (unless you pass out alone in a dark place). It is full of tourists, so you might want to watch your belongings at all times, just like in any other tourist destination in Europe. Also, many people come here to party. Germans, Polish, British, Dutch, Russian, and many other nations represent themselves on a typical party night, and it can cause tension. But personally, I have never been in a bar fight and I have never seen one, although I grew up in Siófok and I still spend most of my summers there. Just use common sense. If you get in a fight in Siófok, you would probably get in a fight anywhere else too. All around the world, people get robbed/beat up/jailed when they start to think that they are the kings of the night (invincible, rich, and just too charming) when in fact they are just drunk and/or careless. A group of men enjoying themselves, drinking and partying are the least likely to get in trouble unless they really want to.

Simple rules for not getting your personal items stolen:

If you go to the beach, use the lockers, and do not leave your stuff unattended. Lockers are very cheap and safe. You will not need your phone, you can leave it in your hotel room (in the safe). All you need is an ID and local currency. This is true for the parties as well. ID and cash. That's all you need. Keep a passport in your hotel room in case you lose your ID. I usually take my phone with me, but then it is the only thing I need to watch out for.

About recommended activities, etc:

There is a promenade in Siófok which is full of bars and clubs (mostly bars), so you will probably spend your nights there. The bars are quite expensive compared to average Hungarian prices, they are still cheaper than pubs in Britain or Ireland, though. (I have no experience with Belfast.)

A few good restaurants you can find in town; one of the good ones called Mala Garden is actually near the promenade. All those restaurants currently offered by Tripadvisor are quite okay, and the reviews are valid, but do not expect Michelin star restaurants.

As for accommodation, it really depends on your budget and the number of people. There are a few good hotels but they are not cheap, so the best option for more people would be to rent a house. You can rent a house with own beach or close to the beach or close to the center. This one, for instance, has its own beach but you'll need to call a taxi if you want to go to the center: levendulahazak.eu/anna-beach-villa_eng/…

There are also a number of hotels/hostels and private accommodations near the harbour (and the promenade) that you can check out on booking sites. Like Hotel Napfény. There is actually a very good cocktail bar on the street level you might want to visit even if you don't stay at the hotel.

Taxi in Siófok is very expensive for Hungary, but they have a flat price which is about 10 GBP within Siófok. Buses run during the day, but I don't think they are worth mentioning.

Travelling to Siófok:

Privately operated shuttle buses exist. The price can be as low as 20 Euros per person, or as high as 35 Euros per person, depending on the number of people, and the journey takes less than 1.5 hours. Only an example (I don't know this company): http://www.budapestsiofoktransfer.com/

If you take a taxi from the airport to the train station, it is about 5-6 Euros per person, and another 8 Euros for the train ticket, and it will take you about three hours to get to Siófok (from the airport).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

Fantastic advice there mate. I'll recycle that !

Belfast
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

Hi all, forgot to reply to this and just going through emails and found an update... We went to Siofok back in June, me and 10 friends, we rented a villa and a couple of apartments for the weekend... IT WAS THE BEST WEEKEND EVER!! Accommodation great, people great, bars great, kebabs for breakfast haha. We had a great time and the prices of everything were very reasonable. I will definitely visit Siofok again and would recommend it to anyone. Beautiful place.

Chelmsford, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

Jaytee8010 - I am planning a similar trip! Did you have any noise complaints from neighbours?? I ask because my group is 10 friends also! Where did you stay in Siofok??

Belfast
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

Hi mate,

No complaints, we booked a cracking villa, about a 5-10 minute walk to the main bar area. The street we stayed was very quiet but all the houses were massive and spaced apart, can't remember the name of the villa but some friends stayed in Apartman Bella which was directly across the street. I was worried myself before we went and I emailed the villa to ask if it's 'frowned upon' to be loud. The reply was basically, no it's fine, it's a place for young people, within reason of course! To be fair we were quite well behaved and weren't too noisy at night as we were drinking most of the day then in the bars til after 4am. We were noisier during the day but no one seemed to mind.

It's a brilliant place, it has something for everyone, not many locals spoke any English at all but they were all brilliant and very friendly.

I will definitely be back.

Budapest, Hungary
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?

It's really true. The Siófok taxi is not that cheap, but they uses fixed zone-ased taxi fees. How to get to Siófok from the Budapest Airport? There is a local service provider who offers direct transport with English speaking driver from Budapest Airport to Siófok and Lake Balaton, vice versa in taxi cab, minivanm minibusm and bus categories. Airport pick up, private car transfer door to door on cheap, fixed prices. For example: a transfer from Budapest Airport to Siófok (Lake Balaton) cost 25 EUROS/ persons with a minivan (8+1 seater).

We have used them (dhe driver was the owner of the Siófok Taxi company: Emil, who speaks perfectly English). We liked the service and him as well. Our suggestion: https://www.siofok-taxi.hu/taxi-budapest-air… - 5 stars service

Reply to: Is Siofok suitable for a stag party?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siofok