We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit to tallin

Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
visit to tallin

Hi thinking of spending a few days in Tallin. When is the best time of year yo go? Where is it best to stay? for became would it be best to stay in the centre ? Hotel or apartment? Can you get to St Petersburg if so how easy is that and do we need visas?Sorry for all the questions s!!!!

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn
Level Contributor
663 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: visit to tallin

The best time to visit would be summer months, i.e. just about now. Everyone else has the same idea though, so I going slightly out of season, such as late April/May, or September would be good too. Great majority of hotels and rental apartments are located at the city centre, and there's little reason to stay somewhere else. Whether you prefer a hotel or an apartment is up to you; both options are available. Visiting St Petersburg (as presumably British) is not quite as easy, indeed you need a Russian visa except if you come by ferry (cruise).

Edited: 20 August 2017, 02:32
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
97 reviews
2. Re: visit to tallin

If you live in UK you will have to visit London or Edinburgh in person to obtain a visa for Russia. Big hassle and extra expense in my opinion. Day trip to Helsinki by ferry will be much easier.

Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: visit to tallin

Thanks so much Lusikas. What is the weather like in May and September?

Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: visit to tallin

Thanks weslshtraveller. show much would a ferry to Helsinki cost and would we need to stay overnight in Helsinki? Is Helsinki expensive?Sorry for all the questions!!!

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn
Level Contributor
663 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: visit to tallin

Weather isn't very predictable, but most of the time in May or September it would be light jacket weather, 10-20C. Usually a bit warmer in September than in May.

Edited: 20 August 2017, 02:58
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
97 reviews
6. Re: visit to tallin

There are several ferry companies to Helsinki. Have a look at the frequently asked questions on the right hand side of the page and click on the first link "Ferries Helsinki-Tallinn - 2017 Update".

Finland is more expensive than Estonia as it one of the most expensive countries in Europe but I read a recent news article which said groceries are more expensive in Tallinn which surprised me:-

news.err.ee/613612/finnish-paper-groceries-m…

The weather is always changeable with a mixture of weather, May & Sept is fine if you want to avoid the winter cold. If you look at the current weather forecast you can see a mixture of weather, I'm hoping the weather will be ok when I visit at the start of next month.

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: visit to tallin

Thanks weslshtraveller most useful

Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: visit to tallin

Thanks Lusikas. Very useful

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,295 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: visit to tallin

May and September have the advantage of being less popular with the cruise crowd. In the summer months the Old Town is flooded with them during the middle of the day.

Level Contributor
250 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: visit to tallin

Thanks johnthefinn