We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
456 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Hi All

I am coming to Tallinn in December and due to the fact that there aren't many cities with direct flights to Tallinn, I am going to have to use Frankfurt. I checked prices on the Lufthansa website and I was outraged that they charge around 250 euros for a one way flight of 2 hours.

Since I have heard that Lufthansa blocks VPN and sets prices by country (which is absolutely appalling) could someone who is currently in Estonia please do a search on the lufthansa website to see whether the same price comes up? The flight to search is 20th of December from Frankfurt to Tallinn at 2pm (direct flight)

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
19 replies to this topic
Norway
Level Contributor
175 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Well, 250 EURO''s is not an unnormal price fflying in Europe and 20.th of December are one of the dayes there people travel home for Christmas.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
156 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Have you considered flying from Stuttgart to Helsinki? Or from Stuttgart to Tallinn? I'm not sure if they are normally cheaper than flights from Frankfurt, but you might get for example nicer departure times. Or you might find good offers, who knows? Air France has had some quite cheap connections with one stop-over.

Mentioned in this post
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
France
France
Europe
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Lufthansa usually has horrendous prices for one-way flights. Looks like the cheaper offers come up only when you search for return flights.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
456 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Thanks for all the useful advice - I ended up bookings that Lufthansa flight for 270 euros (250 euros is only with carry on luggage!)

The fact remains that Estonians (and people travelling to Estonia) are getting screwed big times when it comes to airline fares compared to everyone else in Europe - just to give you an example I booked a flight from Seville to Baden Baden for 19 euros with Ryan air and that's a 2:30 hours flight just like Frankfurt to Tallinn.

Mentioned in this post
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Baden-Baden
Baden-Baden
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
197 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Low-cost carriers like Ryanair, Easyjet and Air Baltic offer very cheap flights to and from Tallinn (just not to Frankfurt), with prices like the one you are paying from Seville, so it isn't a fact that anyone is getting 'screwed'.

To compare Ryanair and Lufthansa is unreasonable, as you will discover when you have taken both flights!

Mentioned in this post
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Germany
Level Contributor
15 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

I second the suggestion to fly into Helsinki. We flew in/out of Helsinki from Frankfurt & took the ferry to/from Tallinn. It may seem tedious & counterintuitive, but it was still cheaper than flying into Tallinn, with many more flight options, and it really wasn't a hassle at all.

However you end up getting to Tallinn, I promise you will love it! I consider it one of the top hidden gems of Europe :)

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Europe
Europe
World
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Globetrotter_au1982 why do you ask if you still bought this ticket? Air Baltic was 150 EUR with bag 23kg and cabin bag 8 kg, connection through Riga, both plane will be new, Bombardier CS300 for longer Frankfurt - Riga and Q400 for short flight (like 35 min) from Riga to Tallinn. https:/…BT361

Or just fly to Helsinki and take a ferry which is like 25 EUR. I mean you seem pretty pissed than you still buy it. Why even post here than, there were many solutions suggested here.

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
189 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Lufthansa has bus connection between Strasbourg and Frankfurt airport and you can add this bus to you flight ticket if you choose departure from Strasbourg. Price would be usually cheaper than just a direct flight from Frankfurt as Lufthansa counts this bus and flight connection as connecting flight. Connecting flights with non low cost airlines are usually always cheaper than direct flights. So it's nice catch to get free bus ride plus cheaper flight.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
819 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Lufthansa outrageous prices to Tallinn

Yes I agree, I flew to Helsinki and took the ferry as it was a lot cheaper than flying directly into Tallinn. Took more time of course, but the 100's I saved made up for it and gave me a full day in Helsinki to look around and do stuff at least. Smaller city airports like that tend to be a lot more expensive to fly into.

Another option is maybe flying into Riga and taking a bus to Tallinn, that might save you money as it's larger and has a lot of connections to Western Europe...

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Europe
Europe