We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valga Train Station

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
37 reviews
Valga Train Station

Hi Destination Experts!

I am looking at catching the train from Tartu to Riga on a Saturday. There is approx 3 hours between trains at Valga, which I thought we would use to see part of the township.

Can you advise if there are luggage lockers at the station.

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Valga Train Station

You might do better using the bus for the trip - Valga isn't much of a tourist attraction, other than the fact that it is split by the boarder. I have family in the area, and can't think of any reason to go there other than curiosity, if the alternative is to spend longer in Riga.

If you were travelling by car then it could be a good place to stop for a coffee-break, but in your situation I would go for a direct connection if possible.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Valga Train Station

Hello! We're solving the same problem. There isn't any suitable direct connection from Tartu to Riga on Tuesdays, except for a bus very early in the morning, which is not an option. Does anyone know if there really is luggage storage at the Valga station?

Also, are the buses and trains in Estonia (between Tartu and Valga) usually on time? Thanks!

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
631 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Valga Train Station

There is a luggage storage service available in the CargoBus shop, which is located in the bus/railway station in Valga. It's 1-3 euros per 24h to store luggage (price depends on weight). The service is open Monday-Friday 9am to 6pm, though they have a lunch break between 1 and 2pm.

Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
631 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Valga Train Station

Oh and about 99.5% of trains in Estonia are on time, and I've never been in a long-distance bus that has not been within 5 minutes of its schedule. Estonians are very punctual people, and of course it helps there is barely any traffic on the roads :).

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Valga Train Station

Thank you very much Wout!

Reply to: Valga Train Station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tallinn