We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurants for large groups in Riga?

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
218 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurants for large groups in Riga?

Though I have been living in Riga for many years now, I haven't been going to restaurants much (if at all recently), so not sure what the best places are these days.

We have some work colleagues coming in, and are looking for a place for dinner for about 20 people.

Something more on the casual side, rather than fancy dining. Medium expensive. A place you could feel free to get up and move around and go to the bar, rather than sit in one place. Preferably Old Riga or not too far away. Preferably a place with some set menus, and we could order a bunch of different things in advance. A private room might be good, but not essential, so long as the place isn't too noisy.

Something like Folkklubs Ala, maybe (but I'd rather not go there, last I remember the service there wavered between extremely slow and non-existent). Stargorod was a wall of noise the last time I went. Maybe Portofino, or Rozengrals, or Naples on Andrejsala (though 20 there might be a tight fit).

Any suggestions?

4 replies to this topic
Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
865 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurants for large groups in Riga?

First thing that comes to my mind after reading your post is the Flying Frog: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

It's in the Art Nouveau district (a little cultural siteseeing on the way to it), it's been around for a very long time and it is informal.

You have to reserve in advance for a group of 20 and even if the place is lour when you go to explore it beforehands you can always ask for more silent background music, they will not mind.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurants for large groups in Riga?

I just returned from Riga and attended a large banquet hosted by locals at Lido Recreation Center. We had private space in the downstairs, not far from the brewery area. There was live group playing, so dancing was fun. Our hosts also arranged for traditional Latvian dancers/musicians to perform for us, with group participation. Our long tables were first filled with plates of traditional cold foods, then hot foods....all was delicious. Beer & wine flowed all nite. I have no idea about the pricing, but as a guest, it was a fun evening!!!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurants for large groups in Riga?

I can recommend Rossini, they have space and excellent

food. Maybe pricing is medium +

Also the Vairak Saules in Dzirvanu have space for 20.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
218 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurants for large groups in Riga?

In case anyone was wondering, we indeed eventually decided on going to Lidojosa Varde The Flying Frog

We were quite satisfied, food was good, service was attentive. Though they did warn us to order in advance, we didn't, but it still only took about 30 minutes to get food for about 15 people. Beer selection could be a bit broader (considering the large variety of beers in Latvia), but that is a minor quibble.

Thanks for the tips! Hadn't even thought of the Frog for this, even though I've been there myself many times and it is a mainstay of the expat community.

Reply to: Best restaurants for large groups in Riga?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted