We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Riga

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Two days in Riga

Hi

Planning a weekend away last weekend in Jan and fancy Riga. We did Tallinn same time last year so we don't mind the cold weather. Arrive 9ish Friday night, out 11am Monday if Ryanair do the business!

We're a couple in our 50s who enjoy a few beers a bit of music and walking around seeing things/ views etc. Not massively into museums

Just wanting to draw on the experience of the TA community:

1) are cabs into the city from the airport plentiful and what are prices?

2) can you suggest a 2 day itinerary?

3) when looking for hotels, is there a 'best location' to stay in within the town? We like smallish personal hotels

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days in Riga

I was recently in Riga while my husband attended a 4 day conference. We stayed at the Pullman which is just on the edge of the Old City. I can highly recommend the hotel. Service & accomodations were wonderful!. It is very easy to take a taxi from the airport.....stick to the Red or Green ones. About a 15 minute ride into the Old Town. I took a walking tour of the Old City with an English speaking guide. She picked 3 of us up at the hotel & we saw everything in about 3 hours. Extremely informative!! Gave me a sense of what's where & places to re-visit. I had planned a tasting tour of the Central Market, but our group got quite lost trying to get to the meeting point and we missed the tour. Have any tour guide pick you up at your hotel.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days in Riga

I've just returned from a 2-day trip and can hopefully answer some of your questions.

Our hotel was the St Peter's Boutique Hotel on the edge of the old city. I would say it fits your criteria perfectly as it's small, the location is great and the rooms were very nice. Some reviews have mentioned it can be noisy but we had room 22 on a higher floor and at the back of the hotel overlooking the courtyard not the street and we didn't hear a thing.

As for an itinerary, I would recommend starting with wandering round the old city, maybe with a free walking tour, and on the second day wander a bit further afield to the art nouveau quarter and maybe Kipsala. I just googled "two days in Riga" and came up with a few ideas but in general I like to wander around a smaller city without too many fixed ideas of what to do and when.

Views: We tried to go to the National Library as we'd had a recommendation to visit the coffee shop at the top for great views but unfortunately once we'd walked across the bridge to get there we found it was closed for a conference while we were there. We visited the Sky Bar at the Radisson hotel in the late afternoon also on recommendation and this didn't disappoint as the views were amazing and we were there to see the sun go down.

The number 22 bus to and from the airport is so cheap and so easy to use that I would advise you to do that.

Bergen
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days in Riga

One thing I've found always amazed my western-europe friends when visiting Riga was a trip to the Salaspils Memorial, absolutely worth visiting unless the snow is meter-deep.

https://www.google.no/maps/place/Salaspils+memori%C4%81ls/@56.8689336,24.2938334,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x3b8ad30d3026c373!8m2!3d56.8731041!4d24.302879?hl=no

Reply to: Two days in Riga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations