We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is riga safe ?

Rishon Lezion...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
is riga safe ?

hi everyone

i will come to riga in the summer time (july-august) i wanted to know if riga is safe ? i read many bad comments about riga and its crime, and that its not really a safe city

i wanted to add that i am not going to a cheap hotel (i am going to a 5 stars one) and i am going clubbing but i am going it through a company with vip and so on plus i have a bodyguard at night with me at the club

do i still need to feel unsafe ? its really troubling what i read, and again not that i have anything against the latvian people, i respect culture and everyone, i just want to go out and have fun

cause it seems that there is a scam waiting for u in every corner

i always travel alone to many cities and never read so many bad reveiw

thanks for the help

38 replies to this topic
Manchester
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: is riga safe ?

Hi Bob, you can spot those dodgy bars a mile off!

They have blacked out windows so you can't even see in and they usually have images of young 'ladies' on the outside and have a dubious name like Foxy Fun Bar or something similar.

There is no possibility of entering one by accident!

Also, if anyone approaches you on the street offering you leaflets for a bar or restaurant you might want to ignore them too. There are dozens of very nice gastropub type places around, so no need to risk going to any that might be shady and rip you off.

Wigan
Level Contributor
118 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: is riga safe ?

if you sit outside Beerhouse No1 with a beer you wont get hassled by anybody as long as your on beerhouse property...(maybe the odd begger) you can watch the girls stopping blokes, chatting and trying to get people into the bars. every dozen or so they get the blokes to go with them.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: is riga safe ?

Thanks guys. I'm very street wise but it's nice to have the heads up before we go. There is always a scam no matter where in the world you go 😎

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: is riga safe ?

It's got good and bad places like anywhere else in the World, but a body guard why do you need one of them full stop! I'm not sure if you post is some sort of weird post - looks like a set up to me.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: is riga safe ?

Original poster is long gone mate 😀

Preston, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: is riga safe ?

Hi , Im English and have been to Riga 3 times in the last 12 months . My partner is Latvian and comes from Riga . this helps but its like any large town and city. There are places best lift to the day time. Unfortunately my fellow country men dont help with the bad behavior at night , due mostly to drink.

The Latvian people are mostly fair and honest people . there very proud and warm people when you try to get on and look to under stand them

Im traveling with my 3 year old granddaughter in 2 weeks to Riga , and looking forward to seeing the sites and people again

Robert (Preston)

Robert

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: is riga safe ?

I spent 4 days in the old town a month ago. I was solo and never felt unsafe as a woman aline.

Manchester
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: is riga safe ?

I'd agree with post 36. You will find most (all) of the issues in Riga are due to drunken Englishmen (I'm English myself) and are of no consequence to the average tourist. We even went to the huge market and around the 'Moscow' district which is supposed to be dodgy, we felt absolutely safe.

Reply to: is riga safe ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations