We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are 7 days too long for Riga?

Gudja, Malta
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Are 7 days too long for Riga?

My husband and I are thinking to travel to Riga in summer for 7 nights, we don’t drive while abroad so what do you suggest to go by train not to far away? We’re using Riga as a base. Thanks for your help!!

9 replies to this topic
Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are 7 days too long for Riga?

For me 7 days are too little.

But for first time I think 5-7 days are fine in summertime.

You can easy use 3-4 days for walking in Old Town and

areas around, then the cosy beach town Jurmala just half

hour away by train. One day to Cesis/Sigulda/Gauja by

bus or train. Then Rundale park and castle.

You can find more info and suggestions by use the

search function in this forum.

13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are 7 days too long for Riga?

Following. I am planning to go in NOvember 2017 any suggestions?

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are 7 days too long for Riga?

@tasneem a

We are also going to Riga in November.

The best time in November will be 17-21 November, as

the 18th is the national indepence day of Latvia and the weekend

will be celebrated with the event Staro Riga light festival.

Please start a new thread if you have other questions than the topic.

That way it will be more easy to search Q&A later in this forum.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are 7 days too long for Riga?

We stayed in Riga 3 nights and wished we had more time to spend. We went from Vilnius to Riga and then from Riga to Tallinn by bus. They may have local trains, but it's my understanding they all head for St. Petersburg. Old town is endlessly interesting, shopping is good, food is good, local architecture is VERY interesting. I guess you have to decide how much in depth you want to go, as well as how much you can squeeze into every day.

Good luck with your planning!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are 7 days too long for Riga?

A week would probably be too long in Riga for me unless I had weeks of time to devote to other places too. I preferred Tallin's more authentic (if touristy) old town to Riga's, but as a city, I preferred Riga overall. The art nouveau buildings are outstanding. The central market is really unique. The big churches and large city blocks made me feel like I was in an important city - yet there are nice parks, too, and Riga seems to have a nice quality of life. Yet Riga feels cosmopolitan.

With limited time to travel, I would spend only 3-4 nights in Riga and more time somewhere else like Tallinn or Vilnius for example. I spend three nights in Riga and could easily have spent another night - but I feel I would have run out of interesting things to do with more time than that.

Manchester
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are 7 days too long for Riga?

Personally I would split the 7 days between either Riga & Vilnius or Riga & Tallinn.

We spent 3 days in Riga and ran out of stuff to do, so we ended up going to Cesis on the train.

Cesis was nice, but very small and took about 2 hours to see.

Tallinn is simply gorgeous! I believe you can get there (and Vilnius) easy by bus.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are 7 days too long for Riga?

I would only go in Summer, this time of year it can look a bit grey and depressing. It also can be cold and the bars / shops too hot.7 days is too much 3-5 max

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
755 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are 7 days too long for Riga?

Another option is to take a bus to Tartu, which is a nice little city in Estonia. Get the bus from there to Tallinn for a few days and then back to Riga. 3 days for Riga, 1.5 for Tartu, 2.5 for Tallinn. Buses between each would take around 4 hours .

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are 7 days too long for Riga?

Definitely I would suggest for 1 or 2 days go to Sigulda with train or bus. There you can find an outdoor activities and walking trails. Perfect destination.

In Riga 7 days is too much, basic it is Old town what is interesting and if you like museums there in Riga you can find all kind of museum - arts, history,car museum.

If you want to spend time on the beach, then you have to go to Jurmala, but the city is croudy in the summer, and expensive. If you want to enjoy the sea calmly, there are many small villages near the sea, just behind Jurmala. (Ragciems, Lapmežciems).

If you have time enough Liepaja is perfect place to enjoy the seaside. It is named windy city ( 3 h with car from Riga).

Reply to: Are 7 days too long for Riga?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations