We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello to everyone, who plans, intends, wishes to visit Riga and Latvia!

From this forum I understood that many problems that occur with fellows-travellers occur from what can be called "blind traveling". When you just get a cheap plane ticket, book a hotel through the net and go. I also do that - and, must admit, successfully. But I also have to admit, that my dear home country is not to be visited like that. Many people here still want to make and make money from ripping off tourists.

I wish to do something good to my country, which is beautiful and not that bad, and that's why I offer my advice and help to everyone, who wish to see the good parts of Latvia. I'm sorry I can't be helpful to those, who come here for stag parties, since I don't visit local bars. My offer is more for those, who like nature, maybe museums, seeing the city and country!

Will be glad to answer your questions!

Kind regards,

Eva

687 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
601. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

My wife and I have just returned from 4 days in Riga and can only heap praise of the highest regard regarding everything and everyone we encountered. Safe, clean, welcoming and a truly beautiful city that is well worth visiting. Albeit we are not in the habit of visiting strip joints, pole dancing venues however each to their own.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
602. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

For more information on places of interest in Ligatne, look here www.visitligatne.lv/ligatnes-dabas-takas

Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
603. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hi, Sara!

I'm not Eva but hopefully you will accept my answers:)

1) I'm afraid you can't ride with olympic bob. The track offers rides with summer bob and soft bob, depending on season.

As you visit Sigulda in November you can ride with soft bob, called vuchko. Rides take place every saturday

and sunday from 12 until 17. I suppose you can purchase your ticket onsite. Here is the homepage; stupidly the english page is written in latvian... http://bobtrase.lv/en/services/3-vucko

May be you can contact them via e-mail.

2) Ligatne and its nature trails are a good choice. If you are interested in other hiking trails, have a look at trails around Zvartas rock. I think this should be a nice hike www.gnp.lv/en/trail-along-amata-river-iii (approximately 1 h hike and the trail is well maintained). If you hungry for adventures you can choose other trails that are longer and with minimal maintenance. Apart from nature you can visit a secret soviet bunkur:

visitligatne.lv/padomju-slepenais-bunkurs…

3) Rundale palace is really beautiful. Do it!

4) There are many options where you can spend two last days. I think that you will need a bit more time to explore Riga. I would spend the first free day in the city. You can visit museums (for example, Occupation museum, KGB building, Open air museum, museum, Sun museum etc.), our huge Central market or a beautiful district of many Art Nouveau buildings (so called "quiet center").

The second day I suggest to go outside of Riga. You can visit Jurmala although the beach in November could not be the most attractive place:) Jurmala is an old resort, now a mix of very rich villas and old summer cottages. You can visit Jelgava. The main object to visit is Jelgavas palace where now is The University of Agriculture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelgava_Palace

5) For modern latvian kitchen you can try these places:

http://www.kalkuvarti.lv/

http://www.tamlabambusaugt.lv/en/ (rather expensive)

http://www.valterarestorans.lv/

If you have questions I will be happy to help you.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
604. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Sara, great advice from the previous poster!

IMHO, the beach is beautiful in any season, so if not raining or snowing heavily, do visit Jurmala. And I would not go for museums covering tragic things in our history, but again, it is my vision of a good vacation:)

Amsterdam, The...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
605. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hi Metra (and Eva),

Thanks very much for the useful advice! I am looking forward to my trip.

Kind regards,

Sara

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
606. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I leave Riga 1145 flight on Thursday. What is the best way to get to the airport in time for my flight, I am staying in old town.

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
607. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

FolkedFace:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274967-c187924/Riga:…

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
608. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

AM or PM? Anyway, the bus #22 runs till pretty late. And the taxi is always an option.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
609. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

AM, I'd have wrote 2315 if it was pm 😀.

Brighton, England...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
610. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

hi there

Is the central market in riga open daily ? and if so are there good times to go to really experience it

thank you :)

Reply to: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations