We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
48 reviews
If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello to everyone, who plans, intends, wishes to visit Riga and Latvia!

From this forum I understood that many problems that occur with fellows-travellers occur from what can be called "blind traveling". When you just get a cheap plane ticket, book a hotel through the net and go. I also do that - and, must admit, successfully. But I also have to admit, that my dear home country is not to be visited like that. Many people here still want to make and make money from ripping off tourists.

I wish to do something good to my country, which is beautiful and not that bad, and that's why I offer my advice and help to everyone, who wish to see the good parts of Latvia. I'm sorry I can't be helpful to those, who come here for stag parties, since I don't visit local bars. My offer is more for those, who like nature, maybe museums, seeing the city and country!

Will be glad to answer your questions!

Kind regards,

Eva

729 replies to this topic
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
48 reviews
611. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Yes, central market is open daily, huge dirigable hangars something from 8 to 5, but open spaces longer. Now there is a river promenade nicely made for a stroll near the market.

The market is always busy and crowdy, so choose the time convenient for you.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
30 reviews
612. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hotel has gave us the number for Pandi taxis so we can book them tomorrow, is this a reputable company as I've only seen the Red taxis and Baltic recommended.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
48 reviews
613. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Panda taxi is cheap and generally nothing is wrong with them, but they are reputed to have drivers working too long hours, which I experienced myself a couple of times. But I prefer to use taksi com or Lady taxi.

Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
614. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

My husband and I are looking to take a vacation in March, and I have always wanted to visit Latvia because this is where my grandfather is from. Where is the best area/hotel to stay in Riga? We are 36 and do like to drink, but all the stag/bachelor party inquires have me concerned that it is only a huge party area. We like to have a good time but are slightly past the drunken rowdy college aged crowd. We are looking for a nice romantic stay, but also to have access to bars and good restaurants (we are huge foodies!), within walking distance in a nice area of the city. We are also not opposed to staying in other quieter more authentic towns/areas outside of the city, but really don't know much about the area at all. Any suggestions/advice is much appreciated!

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
48 reviews
615. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

You don't have to worry about loud drunken crowds:) There are plenty of romantic restaurants and cafes in the Old Town and also in the Art Nouveau district. Loud parties do not frequent those. We've been out with the girls for a cocktail a few times in the recent months and did not encounter any indecent behaviour.

Stay in the Old Town and you'll be fine. Choose a nice hotel within your price range.

Julieb2007
Level Contributor
4 posts
67 reviews
616. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hi ya, myself and my partner are heading to Riga next weekend and would love any recommendations for restaurants and things to do along with the best way to get from the city to airport.

Thank you in advance :)

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
48 reviews
617. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Bus, minibus or taxi, choose what suits you best based on your luggage and wallet:)

It is a lot f snow at the moment, so a day out somewhere closer to nature is a great option, if the sun shines like today and there is no wind to spoil the experience. Jurmala or Sigulda maybe.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
618. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello, My husband and I are going to visit your country at the end on April. We will be travelling by a car and our itinerary is rather flexible, therefore we cannot book a hotel in advance. Is it easy to find a hotel or B&B when we arrive, or at the last moment booking on a booking sites like lastminute.com or similar?

If we arrive Riga during the office hours we have planned to visit Tourist Office, and hope for the help from them, but after hours... I have no idea. Is the advance booking really necessary?

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
48 reviews
619. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I think that at the end of April there shouldn't be a problem with finding a room in a hotel. There are hotels outside the main areas, in so called "sleeping" neighbourhoods, and I don't think that they are overbooked. Just have internet access and check the hotels when you arrive closer to your destination.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
620. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Thank you LT.

Do you think that the situation is the same also in Lithuania?

Reply to: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted