We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello to everyone, who plans, intends, wishes to visit Riga and Latvia!

From this forum I understood that many problems that occur with fellows-travellers occur from what can be called "blind traveling". When you just get a cheap plane ticket, book a hotel through the net and go. I also do that - and, must admit, successfully. But I also have to admit, that my dear home country is not to be visited like that. Many people here still want to make and make money from ripping off tourists.

I wish to do something good to my country, which is beautiful and not that bad, and that's why I offer my advice and help to everyone, who wish to see the good parts of Latvia. I'm sorry I can't be helpful to those, who come here for stag parties, since I don't visit local bars. My offer is more for those, who like nature, maybe museums, seeing the city and country!

Will be glad to answer your questions!

Kind regards,

Eva

717 replies to this topic
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
641. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

There is plenty of information available here on TripAdvisor. If you have some specific ones after you've researched it, I'll be happy to help.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
642. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello! Thank you for trying to helping all of us. I will be in Riga from 17-21.10 and want to visit sigulda by train or bus, I want to see the castles, cable car and the adventures park, can you advise me how to get to all that's place with public transportation, it's possible, please write me what do you recommend to visit and see, where to start and finish... Thank you so much! Hila

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
643. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello and welcome to Latvia. Hope you'll have a great visit.

We have travelled to Sigulda only by car for a long time, so I am not a big help here, but if I remember correctly, both bus and train stops are located next to each other, if it hadn't changed. Anyway, I would take a train, since there are road works on the bridge over river Gauja and bus trip might get longer because of that.

It is quite a walk from there to the cable car, but if you take a ride on it, you'll ba able to walk the wooden steps up and down in the forest. From there you can walk to Turaida castle. There is a nive view over the area from its tower.

I would suggest to take a look at Sigulda homepage and the map. So, you can approximately see what time you need to visit everything you wish to see.

…sigulda.lv/enjoy-best-nature-viewpoints-in-…

Edited: 14 October 2016, 05:11
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
644. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

A couple of us have booked for mid February for a weekend,could you advise us what the temperature is in the day and at night !! Do we need long johns 😂😂 cheers

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
645. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

February is generally the coldest month of the year, so it can be anything from zero till minus 30 Celsius. And there will be snow. So, pack the thickest and warmest clothes you have:)

Edited: 18 October 2016, 07:20
essex
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
646. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hi what can you tell me about smiltene I'm visiting there in November any point of interest and what are the locals like any imformation would be appreciated.

1 post
Save Reply
647. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hi i will be in Riga from december 28 to 2 january.I want to have good time and want to try Bungee Jumping in Sigulda. I speak russian some.

What do you suggest me for New Year Eve and for the period i stay? Thanks

Edited: 01 November 2016, 20:09
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
648. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I am travelling with my partner a friend and my adult son at the beginning of December, we are planning a few things like the xmas market and a few of the museums, is there anything that you can think of that would be nice to do, also are the pickpockets etc still a problem in Riga,

Thanks

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
649. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I'm not sure about bungee jumping - if it is available in winter season.

On New Year Eve you can either book a show programme in a hotel, restaurant or club or spend the night in Dome Square with a lot of people doing the same.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
650. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I wouldn't say that in Riga pickpocketing is a huge issue, but again precautions are wise in any capital. Wallets and cash obviously should not be flashed at night somewhere in a shabby neighbourhood.

Maybe there are concerts scheduled in Dome Cathedral, if you are interested in such activities.

Reply to: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted