We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello to everyone, who plans, intends, wishes to visit Riga and Latvia!

From this forum I understood that many problems that occur with fellows-travellers occur from what can be called "blind traveling". When you just get a cheap plane ticket, book a hotel through the net and go. I also do that - and, must admit, successfully. But I also have to admit, that my dear home country is not to be visited like that. Many people here still want to make and make money from ripping off tourists.

I wish to do something good to my country, which is beautiful and not that bad, and that's why I offer my advice and help to everyone, who wish to see the good parts of Latvia. I'm sorry I can't be helpful to those, who come here for stag parties, since I don't visit local bars. My offer is more for those, who like nature, maybe museums, seeing the city and country!

Will be glad to answer your questions!

Kind regards,

Eva

687 replies to this topic
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
651. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

4 of us couple of are visiting Riga from the 15th Dec for 3 days and I have a couple of questions apologies if they are repeats of ones that have been asked before. Can you recommend bars and restaurants that are off the stag and hen party route, we'd prefer to eat and drink with locals than drunken British folks. Also we are staying at the Old City Boutique Hotel and have been quoted £81 return for a taxi from the airport, this seems a bit high to me but would welcome your views. Many Thanks

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
652. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I wouldn't say that there any specific places, where british stags gather nowadays, but maybe do not check TGFriday's and Paddy Whealans, but even those mainly have just brits, not drunken brits:)

81 pound is too high a price, normally it would cost around 30 for return.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
653. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

So glad I stumbled upon your post! I am travelling to Riga from 23rd to 28th December with my husband and staying in the Old Town. I have two questions:

1. Since we have quite a few days there, would you recommend a day trip which is accessible through public transport?

2. A few things on my list are as below, can you please recommend some more?

Occupation Museum

MIERA AND A.BRIĀNA STREETS

Central Market

New Town

P.S. We are fairly active, love walking and in our early 30's.

Thanks!

Edited: 08 December 2016, 12:21
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
654. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Welcome to Riga!

Day trips in winter really depend on weather. If it is fine, try Jurmala, Sigulda or Cesis. Google these towns to have an idea what they are about.

Must sees are Art Nouveau district (Alberta, Antonijas, Elizabetes streets), Christmas markets on Dome square and Esplanade, a drink on the 26th floor of Radisson Blu Latvija Hotel (Skyline bar), maybe a meal in one of the restaurants on Andrejsala overlooking the river.

Old Town is beautiful in Christmas time, you will see:)

Take a walk across the Vansu bridge from the Old Town to Swedbank building and you will see Riga in beautiful perspective.

Hope you will enjoy your trip.

Edited: 08 December 2016, 15:50
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
146 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
655. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I'm travelling to Riga in early July 2017 with this itinerary:

Monday: arriving in Riga about midday, Riga Old Town 0,5 day in the afternoon

Tuesday: a day trip to Gauja National Park - Sigulda 1 day back to Riga

Wednesday: a half-day trip to Jurmala, back to Riga and travel by bus to Tallinn in the afternoon

Please is this itinerary doable? Or would it be better to travel to Tallinn on Thursday in the morning? In this case I would have for Tallinn Old Town 0,5 day. Hopefully it would be sufficient for Tallinn.

By the way: which is better Riga or Tallinn?

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
656. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Everything is doable, but it will be very very quick overview:)

Since I live in Riga, it will always be the best for me, but Tallinn is great, smaller with nice architecture, ancient feel and views from the hill over the ferry port.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
146 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
657. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Thank you very much for your reply.

What do you think it's better to stay in Riga until Thursday morning and have a full day with Jurmala and respectively Riga on Wednesday or going to Tallinn on Wednesday in late afternoon and have a full day for Tallinn?

Thank you again.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
658. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

You are welcome.

If the weather is nice, you will want to stay in Jurmala longer than half day, to walk or relax on the beach, maybe to have lunch in an open cafe. If not, then probably it will be enough just to take a look at the sea, have a quick coffee and take a train back to Riga.

3 posts
Save Reply
659. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hi I have heard there can be problems with ticks I am going to Rica in May could you please tell me what areas you have to be careful in or is it just visiting forests

Thanks

3 posts
Save Reply
660. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hi I have heard there can be problems with ticks I am going to Rica in May could you please tell me what areas you have to be careful in or is it just visiting forests

Thanks

Reply to: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations