We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello to everyone, who plans, intends, wishes to visit Riga and Latvia!

From this forum I understood that many problems that occur with fellows-travellers occur from what can be called "blind traveling". When you just get a cheap plane ticket, book a hotel through the net and go. I also do that - and, must admit, successfully. But I also have to admit, that my dear home country is not to be visited like that. Many people here still want to make and make money from ripping off tourists.

I wish to do something good to my country, which is beautiful and not that bad, and that's why I offer my advice and help to everyone, who wish to see the good parts of Latvia. I'm sorry I can't be helpful to those, who come here for stag parties, since I don't visit local bars. My offer is more for those, who like nature, maybe museums, seeing the city and country!

Will be glad to answer your questions!

Kind regards,

Eva

687 replies to this topic
Syracuse, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
681. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Is there anything interesting to see in the area of Saulkrasti on a gray and chilly day when the beach is not welcoming?

Riga
Level Contributor
145 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
682. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

There is a bicycle museum in Saulkrasti, if that is an interest to you.

latvia.travel/en/…saulkrasti-bicycle-museum

Sandwich...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
683. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

hi. Im not doing to your country for the stag party)))And thank you so much for your help.

it looks that we can come only in late february- beginning of march. How bad is this time of year and what problems we can have in Riga and around Riga at that time of year?

thank you again,

alla

Manhasset, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
684. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hi Eva, I'm an avid photographer and I can't wait to visit Riga. I am planning to visit October 24-31. I am very concerned about the weather. While the cold is fine by me, it's the rain I'm worried about. Also are a lot of cafes, the market closed at this time. This is my first trip but not my last. I want to come in the off season to avoid all the "parties". I'm just looking forward to the history, the people and the architecture. I don't want to be disappointed if everybody is hiding indoors and a lot of places are closed. Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated. Thank you so much!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
685. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Greetings!

We'll be visiting Riga in late Sept. this ismud-point in our travels and I'd like to do laundry, or have it done. We'll be staying at the Radisson Blu. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Siggiewi, Malta
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
686. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hi,

Sorry if i'm repeating any questions but I'm noticing that this post is quite old so asking for more recent advice.

We will be visiting Riga for 4 days from 2nd November. Any tips re food markets, nature parks and travelling with public transport please?

Regards

Maria

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
687. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

I just returned from 4 days in Riga. IMHO, you must start with a walking tour. I went with 3 others & had an English speaking guide. She was wonderful, remarkably informed, & quite entertaining. The hotel concierge arranged this & our guide met us at our hotel.

We also booked a Foodie Tour of the Central Market. I was really looking forward to this tasting tour. The hotel concierge also arranged this for us, but we had to go to the meeting place for this tour, & unfortunately we got incredibly turned around & arrived 20 minutes after the tour had left on foot. (The tour actually had originated in a bicycle shop.....there was no sign to indicate a Food Tour & we had walked past the place at least 3 times!). So my advice would be to book tours with a guide who meets you at your hotel.

Riga is a very interesting old city, not that large, & once you walk around a bit, you'll find it quite charming! Wear comfy shoes for cobblestone walkways.

Reply to: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riga
Recent Conversations