We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Riga safe?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is Riga safe?

Hi,

I have been reading scary comments about Riga on another website. Tourists were attacked by policemen, robbed, beaten up... Is it true? Going there next week, so really wondering how safe is this city?

Riga Culture Free Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
E.A.T. Riga Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Walking Tours
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Riga safe?

Read this forum:-) Similar question pops up from time to time regularly here.

And the answer is - Riga is not more dangerous than any other capital in Europe. Some reasonable precautions should be taken, of course - do not walk drunk at night in shabby neighbourhoods, do not flash your wallet and money on the central market, do not follow strange people to any bars, do not behave with locals as you know it better, etc.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time in Riga!

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Riga safe?

what I can say is this: I am a foreigner who lives here in Riga since December, I was walking by myself alone in days and in nights in almost every single place here in Riga in the old town and also outside and did not feel any danger or something like this.

but you know, if you look for problems I assume that you can find them here in Riga and also anywhere else.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
152 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Riga safe?

I think that Riga is much safer than London right now..

So, have a great time here!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Riga safe?

I have asked the Forum the same question before coming to Riga two months ago. I feel much safer here than in my home town back in the States! I have been here for over a month and I love every day here. As it was pointed out by others who responded to your question, if you are reckless and asking for troubles I am sure you can find them anywhere.

Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Riga safe?

Five years ago a woman could walk literally anywhere in Riga at any time of night and feel safe. But it is changing.

A friend of mine was sitting in one of the main parks not so late at night and was basked senseless from behind, robbed comprehensively and is permanently damaged.

I had the privledge two months ago of confronting five burly Russians and a kid in a subway about to beat into a beggar that I knew. The beggar got away while we were 'negotiating', I nearly wet myself but settled amicably with the five when I admitted my fear as well as my determination and they replied that they did not beat up on old men. I thanked them for being decent!

liverpool
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Riga safe?

Im from England and i visited Riga recently with 4 friends. I love the place, great place to party the people stare a lot but i guess that's there culture. The taxi we was in crashed aswell the taxi driver carried on to our hotel and did not charge us a penny. Take the Airbaltic Taxis reasonable prices and don't rip you off. As for it being safe, i never felt threatened once there loved every minute of it and miss the place like mad.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Riga safe?

We were all over Riga and never had any problems. There were some places that I would not want to be at night. Just use common sense in where you go.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
760 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Riga safe?

I lived in Riga six years and never had any problems and that was despite living 3 of those years in Maskavas district, supposedly the most dangerous, where I walked home late many a Saturday night. In six years living in England I was attacked once by drunken idiots and had a few more near misses. Riga is a much safer place than any British city, there's a certain subculture in the UK that thinks that part of a good night out means having a drunken fight with a stranger to let off steam.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
129 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Riga safe?

I did a lot of late-night nightlife in Riga and never was concerned for my safety. The people were quite friendly, and really seemed to appreciate tourists with interest in their culture. I'd recommend a vacation in Latvia for anyone looking to experience something different in European travel.

Riga, Riga, Latvia
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Riga safe?

Im local and may help with you Trip - Organisation

we have some plases when beter dont go but i think any city have something like this

in old town you are safe on 99,9 %

Edited: 08 November 2011, 09:26