We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sigulda by foot

TKR
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Sigulda by foot

The Lonely Planet suggests it is possible to see all the major sights around Sigulda (i.e. mostly the castles) on foot in a day. Is this realistic and is it easy to navigate between places? What is the minimum time required for a relatively relaxed exploration of the castles? How about eating options for lunch - are there places to eat around the Krimulda and Turaida areas or just in Sigulda town itself? Thanks for the advice!

10 replies to this topic
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
829 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sigulda by foot

I did it. It's a bit of a trek, but perfectly doable. I didn't take a single bus and was able to see everything between Town and Turaida castle and back, and then hiked along the Gauja river for a few hours as well to see some of the caves along the river (not real big ones) including the old Kirmulda Castle/Sanitarium along the way. So yes totally doable...

Mentioned in this post
Turaida Castle
Turaida Castle
638 Reviews
Sigulda, Latvia
Inverurie...
Level Contributor
38 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sigulda by foot

Hi, how did you get to sigukda from Riga?

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
829 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sigulda by foot

I took the bus...

Inverurie...
Level Contributor
38 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sigulda by foot

Thanks. I've heard heard there's a train too? Is sigulda worth visiting?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
829 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sigulda by foot

Yes it is, there's 2 castles, small, but interesting. Plus hiking around the paths and hills by the river and caves is fun as well. So it's a good day trip. Yes there's a train as well you can take. When I was there a few years back the bus had a much better time schedule for me, but maybe the train is better or about the same now...

Inverurie...
Level Contributor
38 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sigulda by foot

Thanks for reply. Much appreciated

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
586 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sigulda by foot

Sigulda and Turaida are quite apart, I suggest the bus one-way and a hike back.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
645 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sigulda by foot

I also walked the whole of Sigulda in one day very easily - from the train station over the cableway down to Gutmana Cave and up to Turaida. Very pleasant walk indeed and quite doable. I didn't take any buses or taxis, just the cableway (one way; I walked back over the road bridge). I went to Sigulda by train from Riga - very easy. Full story and description of my exploring can be found here : www.paulkilfoil.co.za/2014.aspx (scroll down to the entry for 5 June).

Mentioned in this post
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sigulda by foot

Cesis is also well worth a visit. It's a bit more compact than Sigulda.

10. Re: Sigulda by foot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 November 2017, 15:05

Reply to: Sigulda by foot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sigulda
Recent Conversations