We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
511 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

I have read a previous post about this route, but that was posted in 2009.

We plan to stay in Nafplion for 3 days (4 nights) next year end of May.

During this time we would like to spend 1 day driving to Monemvasia and back. We have planned anyway to go as far as Leonidio, so why not as far as Monemvasia for a day trip?

(Cannot overnight in Monemvasia as the next stage of our trip is Nafplio to Kalamata via Mystras)

Is that possible and how long will the drive there and back take?

O-o-oh, so much to see and so little time!!

PLEASE tell me we can fit this daytrip in.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

This is not making sense, sorry!

The best way to include Monemvasia would be to make it 3 nights in Nafplio, on the last day drive to Monemvasia, stay there the night (what would have been your 4th night in Nafplio), then on to Kalamata from there the next day. That cuts the driving in half on the visit to Monemvasia day, why return all the way to Nafplio just to sleep? It also gives you an afternoon, evening & morning in Monemvasia as opposed to a couple of hours (not long enough to climb the rock & look at the old town). Apart from that you have to see the old town at night, not possible on a day trip!

Edited: 19 September 2011, 08:36
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Like Yiassas I'm rather confused by your doubling back to Nafplio. You haven't mentioned your total time in the Peloponnese. Nafplio is a delightful place to spend some time, but if you have decided to take the Leonidio route to Monemvasia , stay overnight (as Yiassas suggests), then drive to Sparti for Mystra, and carry on to Kalamata by the Langadha pass, marvelous views through the Taigetos mountain range.

Get a good map of the Peloponnese such as the Greek published "Roads" series .

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

I'm confused too but agree with what the others have said.

Just as an afterthought I drove down here yesterday from Leonidio but chose to drive up the mountain from Poulithra rather than via Kosmas. Big mistake. Big chunks of the road are in a shocking state between Pelata and Kremasti and it doesn't look like it will improve any time soon. Avoid like the plague.

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
511 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Thank you.

We have decided to take your good advice.

Now staying 3 nights in Nafplio and the 4th night in Monemvasia. Just needed all of you to give me that shove in the right direction!

From there we'll drive to Kalamata and Kardamyli via Mystra the next day.

What will be the best way there? Via Geraki or Gythio?

I see on our map the road between Geraki and Sparti is a more scenic road?

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

I think your itinerary could stand to be re-worked. There is no direct road from Monemvasia to Mystra via Geraki. Instead, you can go to Geraki on the way to Monemvasia from Nafplio. This is assuming you want to see the wonderful medieval castle-town of Geraki, which I highly recommend - but be aware it is locked at 2:30pm or so.

Then make your way to Monemvasia from there, spend the night there. Next day take the road via Skala to Gytheio, which is the most direct and fastest way out of this area. From Gytheio, cross the Mani peninsula following signs to Areopoli. When you come out on the west coast of the peninsula at Areopoli, turn right (north) and go straight to Kardamyli from there along the scenic coastal drive.

From there you can continue easily to Kalamata, see the city, and return to Mystra via the Lagkadia pass, which will put you practically at the entrance to Mystra itself. You can spend the night in Mystras or Sparta.

In other words:

Nafplio > Leonidio > Kosmas > Geraki > Monemvasia.

Monemvasia > Gytheio > Areopoli > Kardamyli

Kardamyli > Kalamata > Lagkadia Pass > Mystra

Edited: 21 September 2011, 06:21
Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
511 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Got that, thank you, Xaroula!

But we have to go via Mystra on our way to Kardamyli, as it will be the only opportunity for us to explore Mystra and the Langadha Pass.

From Kardamyli (where we'll be for 3 nights, exploring the Mani) we're going to Kalavryta and we want to do the monasteries at Dimitsana on the way there. So, won't have time to do Mystra that day.

So it will have to be Monemvasia > Gytheio > Sparti. That route won't take us too long to get there, will it?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Unless you specifically want to see Gythio you don't need to go that route, it's a good run via Skala to Sparti, then a little further to Mystras. We did the Kalamata-Monemvasia drive in April & it took us just over 2.5 hrs actual driving time. I would allow more for your journey though, we are familiar with the roads so I expect anyone else to take a bit longer.

Edited: 21 September 2011, 10:42
Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
511 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Thank you, Yiassas, that sounds perfect.

That's the route we'll take then, via Skala to Sparti and then Mystras.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

Maybe I'm getting old but I think I need to see a full itinerary, days keep getting added... It's hard to suggest routes when we don't know where you're going next, how many nights in each place, etc. But if you're satisfied with what you've got so far, that's fine too :)

Baton Rouge...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way by road Nafplion to Monemvasia?

We traveled the Peloponnese last May & loved both Nafplion and Monevasia. We had only planned to stay two nights in Monevasia but changed our plans and stayed 4 at the lovely Hotel Klelia www.hotelscombined.com/Hotel/Klelia_Hotel.htm

We loved it there - such a beautiful place & very friendly service by the owners (tell them the Simms family from Louisiana sent you!) - you will love the breakfast buffet with home grown olives and oranges...yum! Anyway, the castle Monemvasia was such a treat - there are restaurants and shops in the castle - by far the most beautiful of all the castles we visited in Greece. From there we drove to the most beautiful beach- forgot the name but honestly, there are so many gorgeous beaches in Greece, each one unique...I would encourage you to see as many as you can! Be sure to spend a day at the beach and walk the seaside trail in Nafplion, you'll need another day for the castle and another day for the old town shops and seaside marina. Get some ice cream! We've traveled quite a bit and although we have lots of the world left to see, we plan to visit Greece again - the people are so friendly and they bend over backwards to help. GOD BLESS THE GREEKS!!