We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convince me to try Holguin

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Convince me to try Holguin

So we have been to Varadero three times and twice to Cayo Santa Maria....Now maybe we would like to try Holguin...so can someone help me see why we should try Holguin...we were at the Bahia in Varadero(now Oasis and apparently gone down hill) were at the Playa Alameda and then Royal HIdeway(Cayo Ensanachos)wonderful beach and then this year we were at the Barcelo newest resort on Cayo Santa Maria..While trying to convince us to try holguin also need to know which resort is really good.. Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

Just read your reviews to figure out what you would be looking for in a resort.

First off -> Holguin is much more *south* than the other areas you've been to so it would *perhaps* be a touch warmer during the winter months.

The resort that is really good (the best actually)-> Paradisus Rio de Oro would fit the bill for you as you seem to really like *good* food and lots of options for meals times. It's not brand spanking new like the last two resorts you've been to, but the service, staff & grounds are great.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

Thanks so much... It would be great if it was a little warmer as we always go around the last 2 weeks of February... I checked out the prices for the paradisus d'oro...(a little too pricey for me). We were fortunate to get a really good price for the hideaway when we went in 2008...but checking PRDO prices looks like over 7,000 for 2 weeks.. So what would be second choice..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

Hi - I would recommend Playa Pesquero - we visited last November for 2 weeks - you can read my review by accessing my profile. If you have any questions about this resort, please feel free to email or you can post on the forum - lots of faithful visitors. You will find the prices more reasonable and you might want to check out Sunwing - they have discounted prices to reflect "last minute" equivalents - their attempt to gain market share.

Lahr, Germany
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

I would suggest the Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa. We stayed there last Xmas and loved it. Mind you, almost all of the Holguin resorts don't have an off site night life as they are pretty much isolated.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

To be honest after being to Cayo Santa Maria, I would not go back to Holguin. What about Cayo Largo or, Cayo Coco? Have not been to either suggestion but he are on my "wanna go" list <grin>.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

thanks.....we always enjoy the entertainment of the resort.....we dont tend to go off resort....usually meet some really nice people and hang out in the lobby bar and then the entertainment and then off to bed.. but thanks so much

Stockton On Tees
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

We are of to Playa Costa Verde very soon and will let you know what its like out there.

We did the NH Krystal a couple of years ago in Cayo Coco and it was a total dream from start to end.

I have heard you can snorkle from teh resort from this hotel so should save me a fortune on the snorkling excurtions.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,493 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

spriteeyes:

The very best snokeling point is just beyond the next door hotel, the Blau Coata Verde at the Dive Centre Hut.

There is a wooden walkway over the coral and a short steel ladder descends into the ocean. It's free and available for anyone to use.

You really should try it.

Stockton On Tees
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

Great tip cheers will try over there as the snorkling is why i booked this location

Cheers again

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Convince me to try Holguin

Have a great time and looking forward to your review.