We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

Did you notice any changes with new ownership? How was the staff? Did you hear any comments what so ever about changes/new ownership?? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Montreal
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

Hi

Just returned from our 12 trip here - actually it was our free week. The hotel is now managed by Sirenis chain (Spain)- not owned as they are not allowed to own property in Cuba. We were aware in August on our trip - the manager advised that if we wanted our free week at this resort it may be wise to book before November 1st, as it would no longer be Occidental after that date. We booked mid-October and had a blast as always. I spoke to many friends who work there and they had no idea how this would impact them - they take everything in their stride as is typical of Cubans. The manager told me that only top management should be affected and that most of the staff will remain. He explained that they all live in the surrounding areas and it makes sense this way, The staff was just hopeful that they would be fine and we encouraged them, telling them that Sirenis has a really good name in Mexico and the DR - which is true.

I am sure the place will not change that much - they have the potential to be even better with that layout and the amazing staff......we have already booked our next holiday for Jan 2nd.

Hope that helps.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

Thanks for the information. I have been to many many resorts over the years and this is/was one of the best staff I have ever seen!! I even hunted out the general manager (Marcus) to tell him so. I really hope all their jobs are secure.

montreal
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

Hi just letting you know that Marco will be leaving on the 29th of November , he's not sure as of yet where he will be relocated

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

We leave Friday November 20th so we will see what the new management is like. I really hope they don't change too much, anything really.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
659 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

I just got back (last night actually). No significant changes so far, but a few little tweaks. As Suzan001 suggested, for the staff no real changes are expected and all the familiar faces will remain. I think Marco is leaving the hotel today (just to avoid confusion, Marco is the Italian gentleman who replaced Marcos Legreaux about 18 months ago, Mr Legreaux was from the DR).

The hotel staff had their new Sirenis name tags on Saturday, and all week Sirenis managers were about the hotel doing what managers do.

Time will tell, but I would expect to see improvements.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

Would love to know what the "little tweaks" are? How was the weather? Was the resort crowded? Thank you.

new brunswick canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

just back from the hotel as the other reader posted all is well no problems but make sure , that you take lots of bug spray as they were bad , we were 6 and my self and one other person got a lot of bites so i guess they liked me home now all and all a great time very hot june

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
659 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

The tweaks were a new menu in the Snack, and some improvments in the buffet whereby the ingredients for the omelettes were better protected from guests who might be coughing etc.

I also found that there was more use of glassware in the disco, instead of plastic. But that was probably because there were so few guests.

These are very early days in the transition and I expect that it will be a while before substantive changes are made. Rumours were circulating that about $500k was available for improvements and that a new restaurant may be added.

Like any change in corporate ownership, I would imagine that the purchaser has to honour the contracts that are in place with tour operators, etc. So it may be quite some time until Sirenis can really put its signature on this hotel,

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
659 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

Oops, I forgot to mention the weather was pretty good, warm but not too hot. We did have some cloud at the beginning and end of the week but it was still fine for the beach and pool.

The crowd was very light, kind of a nice thing in my view, There were enough people around to chat with etc., but you never had to wait for a table or a drink or beach equipment etc,

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anone just back from Occidental Grand Playa Turquesa?

Thanks HFan. Leave Friday morning. Can't wait! And I like you like a quite resort, was there in August, afew people but not alot.