We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

I am not sure why I am having such a hard time finding this information, I am sure it is right infront of me, but here it goes...

What can you bring back from Cuba? I know you can bring back 1 bottle of booze and 50 cigars per person but what about coffee or other food items?

Thanks, sorry if I am repeating a post, I think I am using the wrong words to search.

Nicole

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/…s4

Have fun shopping.

Cheers,

Terry

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

If you are 18 years of age or over, you are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada free of duty and taxes within your personal exemption:

•200 cigarettes;

•50 cigars or cigarillos;

•200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and

•200 tobacco sticks

We have brought back coffee each time (eight) with no problems

Edited: 15 April 2010, 20:27
ottawa
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

I just got back from Cuba this Sunday and brought coffee back with me. Our Sungwing rep told us we were only allowed 500 grams of coffee per person however, when I got to the airport they only had bags of 1000 grams left for sell, I decided to take my chance and bring the 1000 grams back to Canada, this was my 4th visit to Cuba and I never was told there was a limit on coffee before.

On the declaration forms given on the plan there is no mention on a limit for Coffee.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
831 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

There is no restriction on coffee.

Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

There is no limit to the amount of coffee you can bring back from Cuba, that I know of. I always bring back 10-15, 1 lb bags of coffee on each trip I make. I make 3-4 trips each year to Cuba, & have never had any problems with bringing that much coffee back. I have also travelled with Sunwing & our rep has never told us there was a limit on coffee....maybe a miscommunication with your rep??

Yes, I am a heavy coffee drinker, as are most of my family. Once hooked on Cuban coffee, one never turns back to that "Timmys" stuff :-))

Edited: 20 April 2010, 16:09
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

Stanita, just to be more precise. The age at which you're allowed to bring back alcool depends on the province where you live. For example, drinking age in Québec is 18, so you can bring back alcool at 18. But in Ontario, it's 19, so you can bring back alcool only if you're 19 and up...

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

Hola

I don't know why the Canadian customs can't increase the liquor amount to 1.5 litres so a person can bring 2 - 750 ml or one 1.5litre bottles

The 1.14 (40 oz) limit ... come on how long has it been since we have been buying alcohol in ounces???

Mardi

Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

Mardi>> Our tour rep has always told us we are allowed to bring back 2, 750ml bottles. Although that is the limit (or so our tour rep says so), we usually bring back anywhere from 6-10 750ml bottles between us & have never had any issues with Canada Customs, so long as we declare what we have brought into the country. Even if we get hit with duty costs, it only adds up to about $3-5/bottle. We sure can't get rum in Canada for the price we pay in Cuba, plus the duty costs.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

Your tour rep can not make that judgement ...

And it is okay to bring whatever amount you want back ... and pay the duty.

They are stuck on the US/Canada border thing ...one 40 oz'er

I usually bring the 2 -750's without problem

M

Yarmouth Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing items back to Canada from Cuba

On our most recent trip to Cuba ( arrived back in Halifax about 2 weeks ago) the customs guy asked how much alcohol we had and we said 2 - 750ml bottles each as we always do and he proceeded to make a point that the limit was only 1.14 litres each and that he could make us pay on the extra alcohol but because we weren't trying to hide it he would let us go "this time" but told us next time to abide by the limit.

I've been to Cuba many times and this was the first time anyone mentioned that 2-750ml bottles was over the limit and we always purchase and declare that amount.

Even representatives of the tour companies tell Canadians that they can bring back 2-750 ml bottles which is not technically accurate.