We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gwin's Lodge?

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Gwin's Lodge?

I recently spoke with them and they were very friendly and informative, and their website looks fabulous. We were all set to make them a part of our plan. Then I looked at the Tripadvisor reviews and my jaw dropped. Consistently terrible reviews! The Frommers book didn't make them seem so bad. Any input on this, I'm so disappointed, they seemed wonderful?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gwin's Lodge?

From the reviews here on T/A there seems to be enough feedback to avoid this place. Admittedly, I've never stayed there but if you're going to research and seek feedback from strangers, you have enough there to start looking elsewhere.

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gwin's Lodge?

You're right, it's just really too bad, they sounded perfect and their website is great. Ah well, Drifters Lodge has good reviews, perhaps we'll go with them. Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gwin's Lodge?

Gwin's is a long time institution for us Alaskans as they make the world's best smoked salmon chowder, so we love to stop there for it. Last summer the restaurant was closed most of the summer due to problems. There are usually waiting lines at lunch, but it is worth it.

I have never stayed at Gwin's so really can't comment but I could see how people would think it was rustic and funky.

But I can highly recommend the smoked salmon chowder!

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gwin's Lodge?

Well, we really don't mind rustic and funky, we've stayed at alot of places where the reviews were mixed and found them to be fine, many people are very picky or have different expectations, thus the bad reviews. What really caught me was the consistency of the bad reviews, with not many good ones. really too bad, they seemed perfect and the person I spoke to was very nice. That's why I was hoping that people would come on here and say that Gwin's is great and to ignore the reviews, I've had that happen too, with good outcome. Well, we've got alot of time to decide.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gwin's Lodge?

Drifter's Lodge is very nice and right on the river, unlike Gwin's.

California
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gwin's Lodge?

Yes, I have a call in to Drifters, they had much better reviews and did seem nice.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gwin's Lodge?

I would listen to reviews, especially if they all lean one way! Go with Drifter's Lodge. Gwin's is right on the road with no views. I would much rather be on the river, which is very beautiful.

8. Re: Gwin's Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 02:16