We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffalo River Camping Spots - Where Beer Allowed

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Buffalo River Camping Spots - Where Beer Allowed

Hey everybody! Several of my friends who are now scattered across the states are getting together this spring to go camping and canoeing. We're looking for spots around the Buffalo National River or in the Ozark Forest. We're driving from Fayetteville, so the closer to NW AR, the better.

My three conditions:

- The place has good spots with good spacing

- The sites are on or very, very near the water

- Beer is allowed on site (Last but not least!)

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jonathan

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffalo River Camping Spots - Where Beer Allowed

Beer and Arkansas paddling go hand in hand as long as everyone is of age, drivers are designated and you drink from cans. NEVER take glass near any of the rivers. The rangers are strict about this. You might check out Steel Creek and Kyles Landing on the Buffalo. They are nice and closer to Fayetteville than other Buffalo sites I think. The camp at Steel Creek is open but water is not turned on till March 15 and the fee is $10 after that. Steel Creek has 26 tent sites but they are first come, and weekends in the spring they are really packed and you will have trouble finding a site. During the week you should do okay. The Buffalo has several other campgrounds, Erbie, Ozark , Tyler Bend and others. In the early spring they are less crowded as you go down the river as the upper Buffalo is usually only navigable during those months. You can reserve sites at Buffalo Point but it is way on down the river away from Fayetteville. My favorite camping by far on the Buffalo is on the gravel bars where you canoe a ways down, pick a gravel bar and set up camp. I have done most of this mid and lower river above and below Tyler Bend and above Buffalo Point. You have to watch weather forcasts for gravel bar camping as the river can rise quickly. Always camp as high as possible on the bar. Here's the website you can start at on the Buffalo:

www.nps.gov/buff/

The Big Piney is also a really fun river. I've camped at Long Pool on that river. It is a U.S. Forest Service site. The nearby Mulberry River can be very scary. I hit in in semi-high water and nearly drowned on it! People love it but not me!

While you can't canoe there, don't forget Devil's Den State Park for camping. It's a wow and close to Fayetteville. www.arkansasstateparks.com/devilsden

Edited: 16 February 2012, 15:53
2. Re: Buffalo River Camping Spots - Where Beer Allowed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 05:32
Get answers to your questions about Arkansas
Recent Conversations