We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Hi guys,

I'm planning a 14 days road trip in CA (plus Vegas) next summer/spring.

I will be driving from LA-San Francisco-Yosemite-Las Vegas-San Diego-LA.

The total for this loop, according to Google maps is around 1700miles. Adding an extra 300 miles it, I would say the trip would be about 2000 in total.

Considering a car that uses premium gas, with a mixed mileage of 23/25mpg, how much money you think this would cost?

I don't know the latest real gasoline prices in California, hence I'm asking for your help.

Thanks

Edited: 17 July 2018, 02:36
Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,363 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,808 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,630 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
17 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,733 posts
6,411 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Here is the current average gas prices

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=CA

You can do the math from there.

Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
11,081 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Here is a calulator you can try using: https://www.gasbuddy.com/TripCostCalculator

It can only go by current prices though. Nobody knows whether next year's gas prices will be higher, lower or the same as now.

The price today in Bishop, California was $3.83 per gallonn. If you did this trip right now, the gas for the whole trip could cost between $300 and $335. But there are many variables that can affect your total cost.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,226 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

It is a rental car right ? Just fill in regular gas. Not premium and find the cheapest generic gas station in any area

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Another option is to search for “gas station” on Google Maps. Google has limited pricing data for most but not all gas stations in the United States and Canada.

California has the highest gas prices in the United States because it has the strictest regulations on how gasoline must be formulated and dispensed to reduce smog—if you look at photos of LA smog in the 1970s, you’ll see why.

California
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Within California with its nation wide highest gas prices, San Diego is the highest on average state-wide. Even within the state it can vary by a lot. Stations immediately off major highways are usually higher than neighborhood stations.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,282 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Fuel cost next spring or summer is anyone’s guess. It could go up a dollar, or down a dollar. No way to predict.

Also, it’s different from city to city.

most cars have to be refilled at about 300 miles of highway driving. It comes out cheaper if you refill at half a tank, because you get slightly better gas mileage.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Hi guys,

thanks!

Yes, it is a rental car. It will most probably be a Camaro or a Mustang. Don't know the exact engines they have at the rental companiei, probably not that big like a V8 anyway.

However, I heard that in some cases, premium is required (in case the car is turbocharged), otherwise, in case the engine will suffer any damage, the customer is liable.

I will use the sites suggested by you guys for calculation

Cheers

Edited: 17 July 2018, 09:54
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

It sounds like you haven’t thought this through. Where are you going to put your stuff? It can’t go in the trunk because that’s where the roof goes when you’re driving!

Please read up on the extensive news coverage of the crime wave in SF. While it’s less severe outside of SF, the fact remains that as a tourist, you are more likely to be targeted while traveling through our state. Anything visible in the car interior may not be there when you get back.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,927 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Budget $350 for the trip for fuel cost.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,843 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip

Different cars are tuned differently, which is why you want premium gas for some cars and regular for others. Using the "wrong" octane gas wont damage the car in the the short term, it just wont run as well.

For gas budgeting purposes, figure $4.50/gallon - it's unlikely to be that high, but that will cover you.

Reply to: Fuel cost for 2000miles road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted