We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yosemite and highway one

newcastle
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
yosemite and highway one

hi we plan to leave yosemite and do highway one. i realise that its 4 hours to get to highway one.

do we start our high way 1 journey at the golden gate bridge in sf?

can you suggest our first stop for a break, some where with things to see/

bearing in mind we'll have been travelling four hours already that day, please can you also suggest a good point along highway one where we can stop over night. We can then resume our journey the next morning.

many thanks in advance

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,361 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods and Wine Country, Lunch...
1,799 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,630 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
12 replies to this topic
Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yosemite and highway one

I am not from California - only a visitor. You will hear from others but I will take a stab at this: DO NOT start your trip at the Golden Gate Bridge! Head towards Monterey or Carmel By the Sea to begin the iconic HWY 1 drive. I would personally travel to Monterey from Yosemite, do some site seeing and spend the night in Monterey. I would start the journey down HWY 1 early the next day, allowing for plenty of time for pull overs to enjoy the scenery. As far as where to stay south of Big Sur - I will leave that to the California destination experts. But I would think that you can get down to a place like Pismo Beach and spend the night but again - will leave those recommendations to the destination experts. Please don't drive all the way to San Francisco!

newcastle
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yosemite and highway one

thank you so much! your advice is great

newcastle
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yosemite and highway one

are we missing much if we miss out the route between sf and monetrey?

thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,190 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yosemite and highway one

Agree go from YNP to Monterey for the night and then drive hwy 1 to 101 and stay in Pismo beach night 2. The top questions cover this sf to la drive in detail

Yes skip the sf to Monterey part

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yosemite and highway one

>> are we missing much if we miss out the route between sf and monetrey? <<

Four fifths of bugger all really :)

In other words, no. It also makes so much more sense to save the 3 hours by not backtracking to SF.

All the best

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yosemite and highway one

To clarify, you’re missing only two really famous things if you pick up Highway 1 in Monterey: Santa Cruz and Mavericks. But unless you’re really crazy about old fashioned beach boardwalks or big wave surfing, it’s not worth the hassle to drive all the way back to SF from Yosemite just to start driving Highway 1 in SF.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,006 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yosemite and highway one

What is your overall itinerary? Will you have spent time in SF before Yosemite? If so, no need to go back to SF to start the Highway 1 drive. The most famous stretch of Highway 1 is through Big Sur, which starts just below Monterey.

Since it's such a long drive back to the coast and that driving Big Sur can be exhausting, you should plan on spending the night in Monterey so that you're rested for the next day's drive.

After driving Big Sur, you have several overnight options. Cambria is a good choice if touring Hearst Castle is on your radar. Morro Bay and Pismo Beach are also good choices.

You don't tell us where you're heading after driving Highway 1. I assume LA. Santa Barbara is a good several hour stop en route. We generally recommend hanging around Santa Barbara until 7 PM to avoid heavy commute traffic.

Just know that part of the Highway 1 drive piggybacks with Highway 101 and that much of it is inland once you reach Morro Bay. You'll see a sign for Highway 1 as you drive through Pismo Beach, but that is NOT a route along the coast, so just stick to Highway 101 and get to Santa Barbara.

newcastle
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yosemite and highway one

thank you that's all great. yes we were thinking los angeles too

is santa barbera worth seeing. what about malibu?

thanks

paul

newcastle
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yosemite and highway one

thank you that all sounds great.

yes we were wanting to visit la. after highway one.

is it worth looking at santa barbera too?

we were also interested in malibu. is i worth staying over in malibu?

where abouts in la. is good to stay . area wise. many thanks

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yosemite and highway one

Bit difficult to advise further without more details. Where are you going after Monterey, how many nights do you plan to drive along Hwy 1 as there is little point in doing it in a day. Are you staying in LA, going to Disneyland as you say “we were thinking of LA” as if it’s an afterthought. How many days you have and where you’re going will determine the advice you get. To start, yes Santa Barbara is worth a stop, even a night or 3,as is Monterey. Malibu is worth a visit but accommodation is limited and expensive plus it’s closIsh to LA anyway.

All the best.

Reply to: yosemite and highway one
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted