We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California trip need advice

Ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
California trip need advice

Hi we are trying to plan a trip to California next summer. 2 adults..For 2/3weeks travelling from Ireland. We want to go to San Fransisco for maybe 5 nights(if that's enough time) then want to fly to lax and travel around from there, not sure about staying in Beverley hills etc don't know where to start.. Any recommendations ?Want to see the sights in LA and then spend rest of time at beach. What beaches would you recommend ?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California trip need advice

Aren't you interested in National Parks like Yosemite and Sequoia Kings Canyon? The drive between SF and LA has parts that belong to the most scenic in the world. Why fly between those cities? And 2 or 3 weeks makes a lot of difference for a trip like yours.

Ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California trip need advice

I haven't really looked into this, is it about 8 hours to drive between ?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California trip need advice

Best is to take at least 2 days and spend the night midway like in Cambria. The coastal drive without stops will take at least 10 hours.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
54,943 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California trip need advice

A popular tourist drive is

SF - Yosemite (1-3 nights, 4 hrs from SF) - Monterey or Carmel (1-2 nights, 4 hrs from Yosemite) - Cambria or Pismo Beach (1 n, all day scenic drive with stops) - L.A.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California trip need advice

The "top questions about California" section in the upper right of this webpage has a lot of information about the region between LA and SF, which is called the Central Coast. As Tet14 said, it's one of the most scenic places in the world. I would allot at least one overnight stay (in Cambria or San Luis Obispo) instead of just flying over, but this area could easily take up a week or more.

I've included 3 links that may be useful. One has suggestions of things to do and see in Big Sur (the 90 miles of coast between Carmel and Cambria, which is particularly beautiful), the second is to my blog's page of driving times and routes along the coast, and the third is to my blog's home page, with more Central Coast travel tips.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14592-Big_Sur_…

thecentralcoasttraveler.com/faqs/#driving-ti…

http://thecentralcoasttraveler.com

6. Re: California trip need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:43