We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

Which California hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

Hello everyone,

I am planning on visiting Yosemite National Park Fall from Seattle.

What will be the cheap option ( wise option ???? ) ?

1. Fly between Seattle - SFO. But again have to take a rental car

2. Drive the car all along (Travelling with my friend )

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

With gas prices these days, a flight might be just as cheap! But it also depends upon your timing. You'd want at least 2 days to make the journey by car from Seattle. A friend of mine used to do it pretty regularly and spent the night in Yreka or Weed to break it up pretty evenly. So add the cost of a motel room, too.

If you fly, you can take either Alaska or Southwest, and fly into Sacramento, Oakland, or SFO, whichever gives you the cheapest flight. The car rental could be cheaper out of Sacto, so check it out.

You could also fly into Fresno, but the flights there aren't usually as cheap.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
17,838 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

Gas prices will probably come down in the Fall. I think driving is a good option.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

How long do you have for this trip?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,914 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

I'm doing that exact trip (well, with some additional time in other places in California) twice this year. Once I'm flying to SMF and renting a car, and once I'm driving. (For the summer drive we prefer to stop in Yreka but have stayed in Weed several times.)

Car rentals out of SMF are incredibly easy, but the cost is higher this year.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
44,547 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

If you need help you need to give us more details about how many days you have driving time will take away from your Yosemite days.

You can also use Google maps to estimate the distance and the gas you will have to pay plus there is wear and tear on your which can be quantified but that will get too technical and perhaps not worth doing - v/s airfare and car rental and gas from the airports the have been mentioned above.

If you have more than a week it would be good to drive back and forth and see some of the amazing sites enroute. It only makes sense if you have 3-4 full days in the Park to hike and enjoy the amazing views. Also helps if you have a co-driver and I presume no kids

Edited: 17 April 2012, 10:33
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

There's also the Amtrak option. It's not the cheapest way to get there and not recommended for most folks but if one really doesn't want to drive, it is a viable alternative.

www.amtrak.com

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

Vacation is Vacation....

If people are worried about the cheapest way, easy choice STAY HOME...

No fun if worried about about cheapest way before you start..

Yosemite gorgeous, money secondary but that is my opinion...especially if you live in Salt Lake City, Utah....middle of everything........so close but $$$...

You are supposed to be on Vacation, money secondary....

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
17,838 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

Eh, no. Money ( ie a budget) is always a top factor. Very few of us can travel without worrying (planning, budgeting, accounting) for money. There is a magazine called Budget Travlers. There is no magazine called "Money no Worry Travels".

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

But really, even with costs aside, it totally has to do with your timing. As belo said in #4, you want a few days in Yosemite, so if that's all the time you have, then fly. If you are able to travel at a relaxed pace and have someone to help with the driving, then there is plenty to enjoy along the way.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle to Yosemite Ntl Prk

"There is no magazine called "Money no Worry Travels"."

Yes there is! It's called "Islands" magazine. LOL

I can't seem to find the funds to pay for the villas they advertise.

Hopefully, BelajiRS will get back to us with more details about his travel plans.