We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few days in April

Which Colorado hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond VA
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
A few days in April

I'm going to be tacking on some vacation days to a business trip to Denver in mid-April, and am hoping for some guidance on destinations. We're not terribly adventure-outdoorsy people, nor do we enjoy just relaxing on a vacation. We're more the historical and other attractions sort of tourists. However, we do appreciate nature and beautiful vistas.

Given those parameters, I was thinking of the Colorado Springs area for three days pre-conference: Garden of the Gods, Air Force Academy, Olympic Training Center, and maybe Manitou or another village to just wander. Then, for two days post-conference, maybe Estes Park? Or elsewhere - we may never get back to Colorado, so I'd like to see RMNP even though it's not the ideal time of year, given what we're looking for do. Thanks for any advice or tips you can give!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
8,942 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few days in April

For Estes Park and RMNP, see the link below for an itinerary for a day trip from Denver. Although the trip is a winter itinerary, it will apply for RMNP in mid-April. You would probably enjoy a tour of the historic Stanley Hotel. The link is given. Check out the Estes Park Museum. Road conditions should not be a problem in mid-April but anything is possible in RMNP. You will most likely still need snowshoes at Bear Lake. Some of the other short trails mentioned (Alluvial Fan, Lily Lake, Sprague Lake, early section of The Pool) may have icy areas. The upper Beaver Meadows road should be clear enough to walk. If you do not own Yak Trax or Stabilicers for walking on ice, you can rent them and/or snowshoes from Estes Park Mountain Shop mentioned in the itinerary. You do not have to be an athlete to walk the trails mentioned or to snowshoe at Bear Lake.

April is a wonderful time to be in RMNP and Estes Park. There are no crowds. Wildlife may be more visable than any other time. Spring snows are beautiful and melt off roads quickly. Waterfalls, rivers and lakes are a mix of ice and crystal clear water. You will have plenty to do for your couple of days.

Check with the rangers at the visitor centers about trail conditions for the short trails mentioned. Also ask about ranger programs.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143048-i3489-k498…

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
148 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few days in April

If you are "more the historical and other attractions sort of tourists", I'd recommend adding Old Colorado City (in Colorado Springs), visit the Ghost Town museum, it is pretty neat. Also we have very nice Pioneer Museum downtown, it's in the old court house - beautifull building with lots of interesting stuff inside. It's also free.

Manitou Springs is fun town, go for it, you will like it.

Richmond VA
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few days in April

Thanks for the information. I think we're going to fly into Denver and spend three days in the Colorado Springs area, then head to Denver for business, then spend another two days after in Boulder/Estes Park. Our flight out is at 6 a.m., so unfortunately we'll have to spend the last night soaking in all the ambiance of an airport hotel!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
148 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few days in April

It sounds like a good reasonable plan :)))

5. Re: A few days in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 05:33