We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

I am a self proclaimed rookie mountain-driving a f150 super crew w/a lighter 27' trailer. How is wolf creek pass on 160 from the Grand canyon to Durango and on to the Great Sand Dunes?

Appreciate any pointers you might have. Thanks!

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

You will be going east over Wolf Creek Pass, so you will encounter the tight hairpin turns going uphill. The speed limit ranges from 25mph to 45mph to the top of the pass. As you head down the pass towards South Fork, the road opens up and the speed limits increase.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

If you want to see some YouTube video here is a link that shows driving down the east side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWfTDR8xOA4

The important thing is to not overheat your brakes. Don't use cruise control as it will be constantly touching the brakes. Instead take the truck out of overdrive and use the gears, shifting down to second if needed to slow down. In the video you will see some places that are ramps designed for runaway trucks. Don't ever pull off in front of those but use them if you need to - if your brakes fail. Not a good place to be if a big rig needs an escape route.

Here is an old discussion on TripAdvisor that will have some great information for you - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k28080…

Hope you have a great trip.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 11:22
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

Thanks so much! We can't wait to go. The last month of school will take forever to get done!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
857 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

We did Wolf Creek Pass last year, same direction, with a 2011 F150, pulling a 23 Maxlite trailer. The pass didn't seem any worse then any of the other passes we went over. The road was in great shape, though they were doing some work on it and had a lane closed going up.

I remember it as being a very pretty pass, but as it was towards the end of our trip, we didn't have time to explore there. (It is one of the areas we said we would like to go back to.)

Sand Dunes is a great place, plan to spend at least 2 nights there, 3 if you can swing it. Campground is very nice, but does not have a lot of large sites.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

Thanks so much! My wife has the most concern about mountain driving. Our last time on trail ridge road was almost too much for her! Lol

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

We will be heading West over the Pass. Any comments on this direction?

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

We had absolutely no problem. F150 supercrew w/5.4 and a 27' camper. I was very pleased.

This summer we are headed to Yellowstone and Tetons with a bigger, 30' camper. I'm interested to see how it goes. Good luck!

What are you towing?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,965 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

Just thought I'd add that Colorado has a "slowpoke" law.

<<drivers who are traveling below the speed limit with five or more cars backed up behind them must pull over at the first safe opportunity. >>

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

We are towing a 19' hybrid camper trailer with a possibly under-powered Toyota Tacoma with a tow package.

The Tetons are beautiful. We are headed to Zion, Bryce and Arches.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pulling camper over Wolf Creek Pass

I'm always a big fan of YouTube videos. Here's a two parter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq1k3-VOplg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZrN-NWv8WU

The pass has many 7% and 8% grade areas so be prepared to pull over, as alli noted, the CO law says you can be ticketed for slow driving that stacks up traffic. If your truck is not equipped for the towing, you might want to re-think the route. I have actually seen engine fires in other areas of CO where the grades were too steep.