We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping information please

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
329 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Camping information please

My husband and I would like to take a couple of days to go camping in Georgia during Christmas. We will be traveling with our two dogs and just want a scenic, relaxing place to spend a few days. We love the mountains and we wouldnt mind a campsite near some trails and even a lake or river. We are from Florida so any advice on a great place to camp would be great. Thanks in advance.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping information please

Raven Cliff Falls---

located just north of helen, ga. roundtrip 5 miles to the falls. along the way you follow a good sized creek which has multiple campsites along the way. No creek crossings. Also there are several entry points around Helen, GA for hiking on the Appalachian Trail as well as other cool hiking experiences.

Since you are coming in December, I'm sure you are already prepared for sub freezing nights and possibility of snow and ice if you are hiking in north Georgia.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping information please

Of course you should be prepared for sub freezing temperature days as well......

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
329 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping information please

Thanks for the information and the warnings. We may take a small camper so that we don't freeze, or we may go during a different time of year. Thanks again.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
566 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping information please

Raven Cliffs is walk-in...no campers. I think the Georgia State parks are your best bet. There are several mountain parks and several on the lakes along the Georgia- SC border. The Georgia state parks website has a map of all the parks and what facilities they offer.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping information please

Check out Conasauga Lake. Highest elevation lake in GA, so might not be so good for Dec. Might even be closed.

That said this is a beautiful campground and lake. Several hiking trails nearby, one goes about 2 miles to fire tower (Grassy Mtn Trail). Also close to several national forest service roads that are mostly in pretty good condition to check out area even more.

This may not be a good winter destination, but I would keep it in mind for later.

Also, check out GA State Parks website for the north GA parks. Most, if not all, have camping. Some really good ones are Ft Mountain, Amicalola Falls, Vogel. Be sure to check because some of the campgrounds in mountains close for winter.

If you want something closer to home, winter is good time to visit Okefenokee Swamp. Stephen Foster SP is best one to visit. Has campground and cabins, better in winter without as much insect problems.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping information please

Conasauga is a lovely lake, and Ft. Mountain and Amicalola state parks are great spots, though both can be fully experienced in a half to full day.

Another possibility: Clouldland Canyon State Park atop Lookout Mountain in the northwest corner of the state. The canyon itself is lovely, but you're also near Little River Canyon, Lula Lake Land Trust, and the front end of Lookout Mountain with all of it's Civil War and tourism history and what not. You're also right by Chattanooga in case you want to take in some urban sites as well or take a river cruise from downtown to the Tennessee River Gorge.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping information please

Link to ga parks: http://www.gastateparks.org/

All the ones listed are good, many of the state parks have both primitive campsites or regular camp sites with electric and water hookup. You may want to consider one of the parks that has a lodge/hotel just in case weather is bad. Most also have hot water in their shower/bathroom facilities, which makes the ga parks really nice.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping information please

It must of been my imagination then when I saw about 10 tents set up at the head of the trail and several tents set up along the Raven Cliff Falls trail. Sorry.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
566 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping information please

Dude;

It was not your imagination. I meant that Raven Cliffs is walk-in camping....no car camping or Rv's or camper trucks.

10. Re: Camping information please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 02:21