We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day 2014

Which Hawaii hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Day 2014

We are planning on visiting Hawaii in May/June 2014. I see that 26th May is Memorial Day and are wondering how it is commemorated in the Islands. Not sure which one we will be on but are planning on visiting Oahu, Maui and BI.

We understand it's a national day off and are looking information on how busy it might be and are there any ceremonies we should try not to miss.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
40,883 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day 2014

Memorial Day ... public offices, schools and many businesses are closed, but - I would venture that 99% of the businesses that cater to visitors will be open.

Memorial Day is set aside to honor Americans who have died in military service ... in service to our Country. Events will be varied, so once you know where you will be on Memorial Day weekend, post again and we can guide you to some good sources.

Memorial Day is also the signal that summer has begun - so yes, high tourist season should be upon us.

Understand that to see Oahu, Maui and the BI, you'd need at least 20 nights. And a car.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,548 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day 2014

Here are some of the events on Oahu:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k649524…

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day 2014

Thanks for the replies. We plan on spending around 3 weeks in the Islands with a couple of days either side spent in San Francisco or LA depending on the flights. Having read the links above I do like the thought of the special narrated Pearl Harbour tours available so will keep that in mind for planning the week in Oahu.

BLBL I see you said that high season would be then, I thought the Hawaii high season was over the winter months due to the whale watching etc. Just wondering if May is high because the US schools get out sometime that month? Would love to know because we once made the mistake of visiting Orlando in June which was earlier than we would normally go. We were hoping to benefit from the fact the British schools weren't off for summer but didn't realise the US got out even earlier and the lines were horrendos in the parks. Can you give me an idea when the US schools break for summer? I don't have any problem with kids but since we aren't tied to dates why add to the throng of people :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day 2014

Schools generally get out sometime in June, so earlier in June will probably be less crowded than later in June, but Memorial Day is a big Holiday, so Memorial Day weekend will be crowded with lots of people traveling, and local families having cookouts at the beaches and such. The whole week of Memorial Day (from the Friday before the Holiday) is a popular vacation week because people will have off that Monday, so a lot of people will take off that entire week or make it an extended weekend.

Earlier in May (before Memorial Day weekend) is typically less crowded than after Memorial Day.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
40,883 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day 2014

Whale watching is a big attraction on Maui in the winter ... but Maui is a popular vacation spot all year round.

Summer is vacation time in the US just as it is in other countries. Yes, schools are dismissed (generally) in late May/early June. I would not compare Hawaii to Orlando! I can see your point (your horror?) ... and I would not compare the two - at all.

It would help us greatly if we knew how long you planned to stay.

If you just moved up your dates a little ... there would be fewer kids. Say, arrive on April 27 (well after Easter break) and stay as far into May as you like. I love May ... and it is a favorite month for many of us "regulars."

Edited: 27 July 2013, 12:32
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Day 2014

We were thinking of spending the first 7-8 days on BI (2 centres) followed by 1 week on Oahu and 1 week on Maui. We are thinking of that order because Maui would be the chillout place at the end of the holiday and also because when researching flights I couldn't find any from Maui to BI or in reverse which didn't stop in Honolulu on-route. We've read so much on the forum about the amount of time lost in airports when inter-island hopping that we wanted to keep it to a minimum.

Another option was just visit Oahu and Maui and take a helicopter tour to BI to see the volcano but from what I've read that wouldn't be doing justice to BI.

As I said before we aren't tied to dates but have to back in the UK for a wedding on 7th June. Our own 30th wedding anniversary (pearl) is on 9th June and the original plan was to be in Pearl Harbour on the 9th June until my brother set his wedding date.

We have 3-4 weeks for the holiday and we do like the thought of being there for Memorial Day and get to experience first hand how you honor your fallen. We have been to the US several times and enjoyed the 4th July and Thanksgiving celebrations but have never been there on Memorial Day. Experiencing Memorial Day at Pearl Harbour would add extra solemnity to the visit.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,471 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorial Day 2014

Many of the schools in the Southeast US get out on Memorial Day or before, so that could seriously impact Disney World! Not so much Hawaii! But I agree, it will be locals on vacation on Memorial Day weekend. If you could travel in early May and end up your trip just after Mem Day, you would avoid nearly all of the summer holiday crowd.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memorial Day 2014

Yes konagirl I think that's what we'll plan on doing.

Regarding the inter-island flights does anyone know if it is possible to fly direct between Maui and BI and if so what airline does it?. It gives more options about the order in which to visit the isalnds if it is possible.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 10:50
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
40,883 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memorial Day 2014

The only interisland airline you want to take (and you can trust us on this) is Hawaiian Airlines. http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/ If you have to stop in Honolulu - it's no big deal. Get a seat by the window and enjoy!

There is no special order to the Island, but I assume that you will be flying in and out of Oahu. It's that's the case, Oahu should be your first or last Island to cut down on interisland flights. Also, if you plan to do any serious shopping - Oahu is the Island for that ... so do it last.

Rancho Cucamonga...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Memorial Day 2014

The Lantern Floating at Ala Moana Park on Oahu is not to be missed. We traveled to Oahu annually and were afraid to go for years because of the crowds. Finally we decided to give it a try and although it was very crowded, it was a wonderful, warm and intimate ceremony. Everyone is so respectful and orderly - it was wonderful. Be sure to go earlier in the day to get your lantern. The line will look very, very long but it moves quite quickly. We are people who hate crowds in general, but this is well worth it.

http://www.lanternfloatinghawaii.com/