We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 wheel drive in Maui?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
4 wheel drive in Maui?

Hey all,

We are gearing up for our trip to Kauai and Maui in just a little over 2 weeks!!! We're a group of 4 adults. The brother of one in our group highly recommended we rent a 4WD vehicle in Maui for Road to Hana and Haleakala. My boyfriend and I are planning to do a group tour/bike ride down the volcano, but the other couple may drive up themselves as they are not interested in the bike ride. Past that and Road to Hana I don't know how much driving we will do. Is a 4WD vehicle necessary for these things or can we get around fine with a regular car??

Thanks!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

You can use a regular car. There is pretty much no where you need 4 wd on Maui in fact most rental agreements forbid you to go off paved roads anyway.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

Don't waste the money, you don't need 4X anywhere on Maui. Better get that car rented ASAP.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

No need for a 4WD.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

Thanks all! We already reserved a regular car :) Just wanted to double check with others after 4WD was recommended.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 12:16
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

You don't need a 4WD on Maui ... and I would recommend that you cancel the bike tour down Haleakala. I can't tell you how many horror stories and cautions have been posted on TripAdvisor about the bike ride, but here is a very current thread. Only one of a few that were posted about the same time ... and again, this is a consistent theme year after year. I know that the bike trip is super-hyped and touristy ...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k664665…

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

Oh wow. Thank you for posting that. I hadn't read anything that talked about how dangerous it was. Obviously I know there are some dangers to it as with any activity, but had no idea it was that bad. We were just going by the recommendations of 2 separate friends who had done it on their own trips a few years ago. I'd like to go up for the sunrise but may skip the bike ride down.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,348 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

I'm glad you're reconsidering the bike thing.

Another good reason to skip it........if safety doesn't convince folks-is the cost. You're already paying for a rental car! A car is far more comfortable, safer, and allows you much more freedom.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

Would you all recommend driving up on our own to see the sunrise? I have read that even driving that road in the dark can be dangerous and that many recommend taking a tour even if you're not biking down. If you don't think driving it on our own is best, is there a specific tour you'd recommend?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,348 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

The road can be scary to some folks, true. However, you will have lots of company, it's not like you are on it alone. Unless you try to hurry, it is really not dangerous (barring weather issues, of course).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 wheel drive in Maui?

The vast majority of visitors drive it themselves. It's a nice road and marked well.