We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People??

Tacoma, Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
People??

I am from Washington State and I plan on living in Idaho this Fall. I am not Caucasian, I am of Asian descent, and so I tend to be a bit wary when it comes to traveling and interacting with other people. So the question is, Are the people in Idaho as welcoming as the people here in Washington? And how are the people like over there? I hear that Idahoans aren't as open to other races but I refuse to believe those accusations, for I know each place has their good and bad side. Oh and I will be in Moscow, Idaho, if that helps.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: People??

since that is a college town, most certainly, you will be welcome. i live in the middle of idaho, and we love any race...are you kidding.

i think you will be very happy with your move to idaho and all its beauty. have fun.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: People??

Gtiz,

I'm sure that you have heard that Idaho is a strong Republican conservative state not very open minded and very red necked that's probably why you're asking about it however not everyone in Idaho is so closed and I think you'll find that the people in Moscow are very welcoming.

Tacoma, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: People??

Thank You for the reassurance. I am looking forward to my stay in Idaho

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: People??

Hi

Boise has a large Asian community with lots of resturants and asian markets.

my wife who is Thai has no problems.

My son lives in Moscow He went to U of I in 98 and never left.

here is a link to his web page if by chance you are a music major

http://www.moscowmmmstudio.com/home.html

he and his wife love it there. Moscow is probably the most liberal place in Idaho

don't worry.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: People??

There seems to be a pretty big Asian population in the Moscow/Pullman area so I doubt you will experience any problems. With 2 large universities within 10 miles, this part of Idaho is a bit different than some other areas.

It is pretty cold here in winter, so you may want to look for a good coat unless you have one already (you all might have had more winter than we have had this year!) when things start to go on sale.

Be sure to check out the Moscow Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. That runs thru October. The good produce sells out early, but there is fun and music until 1PM. If you like ice cream there is an awesome vendor at the Market...I love their chocolate lavendar!

Do you bike or walk? There is a wonderful paved trail from Moscow east to Troy (12 miles). There is a paved trail from Moscow to Pullman as well (not as scenic as the Troy trail, IMO)

Welcome!

Pam

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: People??

I was taught long ago that one will find what they expect to find in other people and other places. That has proven to be true.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: People??

Cheapseater, thanks for your input but unfortunately it's not that simplistic wish it were it would make my job so much easier.

Collie

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: People??

how about, "you get what you give out...ten times over"..one of my mottos.

and my yoga teacher says it well..."you have the microphone, let people know what it is that you want them to know about ;you"...well, you get it.

9. Re: People??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:17