We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tall Ship Review

Which Michigan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tall Ship Review

Just got back, thought the festival was great. Bay City was too but gee not used to such a small town--where are the big grocery stores ?

It was my first time to Bay City so I pack better next time. Will be back, just a 2 hour drive for me, nice.

I update this thread soon about the details.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 13:28
Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
1,267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tall Ship Review

The Tall Ship Festival is always such a bit hit, especially for small town BC! Beautiful when they are all lined up at their docks, aren't they?

Big grocery stores-Meijer is right off of 75 at the Wilder Rd exit. A few miles to downtown, continuing on Wilder Rd.

Glad you have a great time!

Edited: 15 July 2013, 14:39
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tall Ship Review

My hotel was on Bay st or Saginaw rd, the Econo lodge--nice hotel for $130 for Sat-Sun night thanks to Priceline express deal. Was a 10 min drive into town, few stoplights. Could not get my laptop working, the hotel signal it received but no page for the password to log in came up--think my laptop was still on the last hotel signal, I never cleared it out and did not fool with it much. It was the weekend so in the trunk it went. The hotel had a computer in the lobby but I never used it. Google maps would had found Meijer for me, sometimes I'm too lazy yet it was only 2 nights.

The first day got down there at 9:30 AM after parking at the GM powertrain plant and taking the shuttle bus to Wenona Park, gates did not open till 10 but lots of people waiting to get in--wasn't open till right till 10, not even 10 mins early. Some folks left and went on the red code bus to Veterans Park but most the biggest ships were dock on the Wenona Park side I found out later so glad I didn't follow the sheep, lol. The lines to board the ships weren't very long-20-25 mins but later that afternoon the lines grew much longer. I boarded 5 ships in the 2 days, you can see about 50% from the dock, IMO

More later

Edited: 15 July 2013, 15:58
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tall Ship Review

Well the gates open right at 10, everybody shuffled in calmly and politely, found most the people very friendly and upbeat, a happy crowd.

My first ship I toured was the Sorlandet, a very large tall ship. You needed to buy a $10 passport to tour the ships, was shape just like a real passport and each time you toured the ship they stamp your book so you could tour the ship only once, a good thing to help shorten the lines, you could always buy another passport if you really want to see the ship again--or maybe even just ask ? The tour event folks seem real easy going--expect for entering the grounds--heard a second hand story about some event folks going wild cause some lady used their port-o-johns cause she needed to use the bathroom and all them were inside the ground areas--everybody has to pay to enter the ground they were yelling to the dude who let her in.

The ships are built so well, a work of art they are. It was so nice having the ships dock so close together and crowds were large but not overwhelming-somebody said the Bay City stop is the "best one", it might be since the large cities must have way more people-crowds. I did not use the shuttle bus to cross the river, wasn't too bad of a walk.

Later on I hop on a bus for $7 to tour the lighthouse, was a private company tour bus, nice and cool inside and also stop at the USS Edson warship from the 1950's, ship was awesome, nicer then the USS Barry ship I toured down in Wash DC. Guess Bay City just got it from NYC last March, if your in to battleships you have to check it out

More to come

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tall Ship Review

Best place to eat I found was at the Double Tree hotel on the riverfront. Excellent views, good food and not very expensive, for lunch I got their "steak" burger-which seemed like hamburger, came with cheese, fries and a fat 1/4 pickle. With an ice tea bill was $13.25 before tip--that is a steal in Niagara. Service was a little slow but food was great. The restaurant wasn't full, not sure why, maybe it looks more $ then it is. I didn't go until Sunday, maybe Sat was busier ?

Never made it up to any of the state parks, I like hot temps but its been muggy hot and summer is only halfway done. Might well be heading back in a few weeks, its close enough and a great place to relax without going way up north, IMO

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
1,267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tall Ship Review

Thanks for your excellent, detailed trip report (so far?)! Enjoyed reading about your experiences. Glad you had a great time. Double Tree is an excellent hotel; I wonder what their rates were for the festival??!!

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tall Ship Review

I'm guessing around $200, since on Sunday night rates I seen were $141 before taxes off Priceline.

Yeah it was the place to stay--there was another hotel next door-the Plams ? My memory fades quickly today, my best TR are done in my hotel room but again, did not get my laptop working. I got more free time vs money, if I budget tightly, I can travel more often. Sometimes thou, paying more is worth it. Come 3 years from now, I might well try to book early at the Double Tree before the hotel gets sold out. Least for one night since you are right there and no parking/driving hassles.

7. Re: Tall Ship Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 00:18