We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to go gold panning

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to go gold panning

Hey

Planning on driving through Montana en route to Yellowstone - would like to stop off and pan for gold, dig for sapphires etc. Where would be the best place? From my research I am looking at either Philipsburg, Deer Lodge or Butte - any other recommendations that are en route to Yellowstone?

Recommendations for places to visit and stay along the route would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks

James

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to go gold panning

I would gold pan with the kids in Virginia-Nevada City. The sapphire digging is a bit away in the Mountains near Phillipsburg. But if time allows that can be a interesting day. Kids seem to get a kick out of the gold panning, and the whole western-ghost town aura of Virgina -Nevada City - just SW of Butte. Lewis and Clark caverns are nearby as well, and that is really cool if you're a kid. If your kids are interested in minerals and geology, I posted on your other post about Butte. Butte also has a very rich Welsh/Irish heritage that YOU might find interesting. Many of the first copper miners-workers that started the Butte mines were Irish and Welsh immigrants. Butte has one of the largest Irish and Welsh immigrant populations; and is well noted for it's Irish/Welsh and other immigrant history. I'm happy to help-advise with any other questions! Enjoy your visit to Montana and Yellowstone!

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to go gold panning

There are also several places in the VC/Alder area where you can pan for garnets, which is fun for the kids too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to go gold panning

I'm starting to think I need kids to go on this trip! :-)

what is VC/Alder?

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to go gold panning

Sorry - I misread your post - thought you'd mentioned kids :-)

Virginia City (VC) and Nevada City are just about 15 mi. west of Ennis, and Alder is another 10 mi. or so west of there. Or coming from Butte, you would go south through Sheridan(MT), and then east on 287, which would take you through Ennis, and past Quake Lake (which has an interesting Visitor Center) to West Yellowstone.

Edited: 20 June 2011, 09:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to go gold panning

no problem, thank you very much!!

Casper, Wyoming
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to go gold panning

What about the Billings area? Any good spots around there?

7. Re: Best place to go gold panning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 16:17